BFD question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DavidES, Jun 24, 2003.

1. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

Been reading about the 1mS delay it introduces. My receiver doesn't have delay correction for sub. Would the BFD delay be audibly noticable? I'm deciding between
    BFD and this Nady eq.
    Should I go with the Nady instead?

2. sonny_b

sonny_b Agent

The 1ms equals an extra foot to the distance to your subwoofer. You should be able to put in distances for your speaker.

I own a BFD as well. It has 12 diff paramentric eq's vs. the 5 in the Nady. In my first attempt (which was a failure) I used 6 EQ's. So if you forsee a need for more than 5 EQ's the BFD is a better choice.

-sonny

3. DavidES

Thanks for responding.
    No time adjustments for the sub, only for center and rears.
    I have an entry-level receiver.

4. DavidES

Well I went ahead and splurged for the BFD. Too bad I couldn't find it locally. Dang! gotta wait two lonnnnggg days. [​IMG] BTW great forum.

5. sonny_b

sonny_b Agent

Make sure you set up your EQ for a house curve. In my post I said the first attemp failed. That is why...I flattened it out pretty good and it sounded horrible. My room actually amplifies everything from 25hz - 80hz pretty flat. But it boosts it to 20+db higher than my reference tones. So I need to setup a house curve tha is somewhere in between.

If you haven't read this site it is invaluable in setting up your BFD and sub. http://snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

-sonny

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    David,

You made the right choice getting the BFD. The Nady has pre-set ranges for its filters, and only two of the five bands will function in the sub frequencies.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Sonny,

>...I flattened it out pretty good and it sounded horrible. My room actually amplifies everything from 25hz - 80hz pretty flat.<

I am not sure I understand this. Do you mean you just set the controls to flat without using an SPL meter. MY thinking here is if you were using an SPL meter you would have picked up the room amplification?

Thanks

Bob

8. sonny_b

sonny_b Agent

I meant flat at about +20db between those two frequencies. Yes, I used a RS SPL. I have a bad dip at 80hz and a peak at 160hz....

Do some reading on house curves. You start out in the lower freq high and gradually slope down. This will give you a relatively flat response without losing the bottom end.

-sonny

9. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I have found that a room curve really only helps at lower volume levels, much like the bass boost switch found on most receiver. It compensates for the ear's inability to hear low frequencies at low levels. The Fletcher-Munson curve is what all this low-frequency bass boost is based upon. I have set up my system with essentially flat response; and on the many (yes, pipe organ) cds I have with 20Hz signals, those "felt but not heard" sounds are truly remarkable. What do I do when listening at low levels? Why I just hit the bass boost switch.

Greg

10. DavidES

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sometimes it pays to “poke around” the website a little. I got that info from the spec sheet.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. DavidES

13. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    Since your sub doesn't have a distance adjustment already, it is certainly not time-aligned as it is. What would you do if you wanted to move your sub 1 foot further away? I suspect that it is a non-issue with the frequencies in question.

But if you want to keep the same time alignment you have now, why not add 1 foot (ie 1ms delay) to all your other speakers?

14. DavidES

I only have center and rear delay adj. It's just an entry level receiver right now for a long while.

I got the BFD yesterday and when listening to U-571 Depth Charged for a minute to check input level, I didn't notice anything glaringly out of place yet and I don't think I will.

I must say the BFD is an excellent piece of equipment as long as you know it's limitations and features. I'm glad I went with it. Only slight problem is no dimmer option, but I can live with it.

Now time to go back and tweak and tweak and tweak and...
    This is addictive. [​IMG]

15. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

16. DavidES

Thanks! Nah, just put some dvds in front of it. More storage space [​IMG] I try to live by the k.i.s.s. method. [​IMG]