What's new

BFD input level Issues (1 Viewer)

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this may seem odd. The first time I used the BFD I had my sub in the front right corner of my room (I know the sub has nothing to do with the input level on the BFD). Anyhow when I had the sub up front I had my Parasound AVC sub level set to -3 which yeilded me all green bars and an occasional yellow on the input level meter on the BFD. I abandond the BFD for a while because I had a bad room null at the listening position from 32-41hz which I could not fix. A week latter I moved the sub to the rear of the room in the back left corner took measurments and the null was gone and I had much better performance and a relativly smooth response with a few small dips and peaks so I thought I would try once again with the BFD to smooth the response out. Well I went to set the input level and I had to put the sub level on my AVC down all the way to -10. At -10 on heavy bass passages the input readings light the clip light frequently. I guess I just need to know if this is normal or should I unplug all the wires and start from scratch again to see if I missed something.

Glenn Baumann

Stunt Coordinator
Hi JohnGil,

You might already be aware of this, but make sure that you have the pushbutton on the back of your BFD set for -10dBV (HOME) use and not +4dBu (STUDIO) use. There is also a possibility that you might now be using input/output 2 as opposed to the original input/output 1 as the (2) STUDIO/HOME buttons are set individually for each input/output. Sounds like something might have changed since your last setup!
Look here for more info: http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

Keep us posted!

Glenn

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn, Thanks for the input. Im pretty sure I have that button pushed in. I'll check again tonight though to be sure. Well the first time I set it up I had the manual you referenced printed out and followed the instructions as written. This last time I just went off memeory and only used it when I couldnt remember something. I'll Start over tonight and see if I cant fix the issue. I'll let ya know tomorrow how it turned out. Thanks

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
But if you alter the input level, you will alter the output level, and by recalibrating you will be back to square one.

If you're just looking at the face, this solution will probably fix it- but if you're running it properly calibrated and still getting clips, sounds like you don't have enough amp/sub for the room.

-Vince

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator
But if you alter the input level, you will alter the output level, and by recalibrating you will be back to square one.

If you're just looking at the face, this solution will probably fix it- but if you're running it properly calibrated and still getting clips, sounds like you don't have enough amp/sub for the room.

-Vince

Vince, My room is 1,650 cubic feet. I have an SVS 20-39pc+ the gain as it sits right now it at 1/3 and everything is calibrated using DVE except for the sub, which I match to the mains using the AVR's internal tones(I don't think DVE tones for the sub are very accurate and the tones generated by the AVR are more stable). When calibrating, I use "0" as reference these clips are happening at -10 and at that level the sub is having NO issues and im sure it has plenty of headroom left over in my small room.

I probly missed a step some where in the setup as im quite positive im not using the sub or its amp to full potential. I don't run my subs hot I like them to blend with the mains for music.

If I have to start all over again its no big deal.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you bumped the button on the back... you should be able to drop input by changing that button on the BFD- and then I'd leave the output on the preamp as low as possible, and open up the gain on the sub to get calibrated level.

-V

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finaly got around to figuring out the input level issue. As it turns out and this may seem odd but with the button pushed in its giving me the high levels with the button out it reduces the level. It even clearly shows on the back of the unit "IN for -10dBV(HOME)" and "OUT for +4dBu (STUDIO)".

Either way its fixed. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks