DVD Audio / SACD LFE level

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I just picked up the Yamaha S2300 universal player today and I'm having issues with getting the subs calibrated. First let me describe my setup. I have a Yamaha RX-V1, Polk RT series all around all set to small, Dual 16-46CS+ with the Samson 1000 and a BFD. With the Samson's volume set to zero, I had calibrated the system with VE and had the 5 speakers all at +/- 1dB and the sub at -13.5dB. According to VE, the sub should be at -16.5dB but I found upping it 3dB help flatten things out when the mains kicked in.

OK, so I've run VE on the S2300 through both the digital input and the 6-channel input. However I had trouble getting bass through the 6-channel input. The -13.5 setting was affecting the 6-channel input and I couldn't get anything out of it. So I cut the Samson back -5dB, put the DVD player at +6dB on the subwoofer, and set the Sub on the receiver to 0dB. When going to the digital input I had to calibrate the sub to -7dB.

Now I put in a DVD-Audio disk, Grateful Dead's American Beauty, and the bass was way, way too high. I dropped it down about -10dB on the receiver and that helped. SACD sounds fine with the sub at -0dB, which is how VE calibrated through the 6-channel input.

I adjusted the sub volume on the DVD player and that doesn't appear to affect the SACD bass. I dropped from +6dB to -4dB. The DVD-Audio sounds a bit bass heavy, but I can't accurately judge. I don't have any DVD-Audio discs on CD also since the two Dead albums were remixed. I could compare to the DD tracks, but that's not very accurate.

I thought I read somewhere about a 10dB level difference on the LFE track on DVD-Audio. Also, I'm using the players bass management and have all speakers set to small. It is kicking the subs in when I switch to the 2 channel tracks on American Beauty.

Anyone know what's going on? I can set a macro on my remote so that when I change to the six channel input I set the subs to 0.0dB and when I go back I can have it at -7.0dB. I guess now I could set the Samson back to 0dB and compensate for that in the sub settings. Still, what the hell is going on here?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Search the audio/video sources forum for "Low LFE".

You will find about a months worth of reading.

Bottom line: Most all universal players have an issue with low LFE level.

BGL

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Thanks Brian. I've done a search as you suggested and you were right. I'd seen the subject, but couldn't come up with an effective search string. Also I'm on my dial-up, it does make life difficult.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Here's how I did it:

For digitally passed CD/DD/DTS to my pre/pro, I have the levels in my pre/pro set within +/- 2 dB of 0, with the LFE set at - 5dB.

For the analog output from the player, I have the players levels set similarly to +/-2 dB of 0, but the LFE is set to +6 dB. So you kind of have to play with the levels in your pre pro/receiver, in the player, and the sub's volume knob.

I used Avia for DD, and the Chesky Ultimate DVD-A test disc for DVD-A/SACD levels:

http://www.chesky.com/catalog/body_c...274&CATEGORY=1

The Chesky disc can also be used for DD levels. IMO, the Chesky disc has much better test signals for phase between the sub and mains.

You can try to use Avia for DVD-A/SACD, but you have to remember to add that 10 dB...