What's new

3db's Great Room (mainfloor townhouse open concept) setup (2 Viewers)

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
How far did you pull the speakers out? What about going further forward? Or, if you’re really ambitious, running sweeps at 4” increments.
No point really as I'm locked in by the room where I can place equipment and sit. It is what it is. :)

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
Its a been a rainy day today so I took another cut into integrating the 3 subs into my main system. Much much better results this time. I took my time and was bound and determined to get it right. Data and graphs will come later tonight or tomorrow. I'm tired from this effort and I still have to make Minnie a new batch of Hamburger Helper plus take her out for a walk.

It turns out that moving sub2 was key to get the response I was looking for. It also allowed me to pull the speakers back away from the wall without getting that bass suck out that I had previously. I still have to use the shorter stands as the response with the taller stands was still bad.

The measurement mess
Great64.jpg
Great65.jpg

Sub 2 which was located beside the right speaker has been moved to the left corner of the sofa firing towards the system.
Great66.jpg
Great67.jpg

Now looks like this;
Great68.jpg

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
Here are the measurements

The first graph shows the difference in response of sub 2 only from the old and new locations.
New Location verses Old Location Sub 2.jpg

You may think its not much of a trade off or even worse but look at the combined response shown in the next graph. It shows the sub response before and after REW EQ has been applied.
Sub Response Pre Post REW EQ.jpg

The graph below shows the response for my movie configuration between PEQ=Through vs PEQ=Flat
Pattern 1 Movie Set Up Thru vs Flat.jpg

The graph below shows the response for my music listening configuration between PEQ=Through vs PEQ=Flat vs Pure Direct (no PEQ)
Pattern 2 Music Setup Thru vs Flat vs PureDirect.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
FWIW, I had success in a smaller room turning two 18 inch subs toward each other about 9 feet apart. If nothing else it really enhanced the "sub" effect. Every room is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks