What's new

Bewitched to the Big Screen... (1 Viewer)

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree with you Ashley. Nicole Kidman just seems terrible. She is still a good actress but I don't really like her anymore. She looks rather strange lately, not cute, never thought she was cute actually. She used to be attractive but she just looks strange now. I would avoid this movie if Will Ferrel wasn't in it. He is not playing the character from the show so I don't expect him to be that character. I just expect him to be funny. From the previews he seems to deliver.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I love Nicole and what is it that looks so strange? I would much rather see her than see Will Ferrel in yet another bumbling role. One we have seen over and over and over again.
Will I see the movie? Not sure, but the premise they are using is a deterrant.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Tonight is the NYC premiere of "Bewitched". Also Nicole will be on Letterman's show.
She much cuter than Elizabeth Montgomer and may - MAY - give a better performance than the TV actress.
Cuter than EM? I hardly think so... I hate to compare the two as they are both beauties in their own right...but EM was as cute as anything...and a great actress as well.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Advance word is very bad.

NY Post reported that Kidman blew off GMA.

I know she did Letterman ...

R. Kay

Second Unit
Kidman's definitely looking more and more like a plastic doll.

She was very pretty once, but looks very Stepfordy now.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
NICOLE KIDMAN fought off tears at the BEWITCHED premiere in New York last night (13JUN05), after learning her beloved make-up artist ROBERT McCANN had been found dead.
[...]
Sources close to the actress claim she considered pulling out of the premiere and an appearance on THE LATE SHOW but decided the show must go on.
Maybe she just couldn't bring herself to go on GMA.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I can't really say I like the approach they are taking with the story. I'm guessing this will be this years Stepford Wives. The Buzz does not seem to good on this film. But at least TV Land is doing a week of episodes as a promotion for this.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm not crazy about the remake either.

Wish it was done sort of like The Brady Bunch movie, keeping the family in modern times.

I thnink a VERY funny idea would be to switch Darrin's in the middle of the movie and the only person wise to it would be the next door neighbor, that spies on them.

Abner, Abner...Samantha has a new husband, that's NOT Darrin!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I confess, I passed out trying to watch this movie this afternoon. It was decent for a manic 10 minutes or so (mainly Will Ferrell being goofy), but the rest was so dull.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw the bewitched movie.. it was not that bad.. like hte trailers has seem.. I found it kinda charming in its own way and also respecting the tv series.

I have to say that I did like herbie fully loaded much better and I still would have prefered jim carrey over will smith.

JACOB

Mark E J

Second Unit
Was there even any magic in this film? Outside of the appearing car, Ferrell doing weird Shakespeare, and Caine's product placement montage seen in the traliers it dosen't even look like they kept the fantasy elements of the series.
So anyone turned into toads or anything? :rolleyes

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
****SPOILERS AHEAD*******

I saw the movie opening night in Los Angeles at the Grove with a bunch of other Bewitched fans and I LOVED IT! Not that it was an A+ by any means, more like a B+.

I thought the movie captured the very essence of Bewitched the TV series...like what would be left if you were to boil it down to the very core. It was about love overcoming all. This is why I cannot understand why people are confused about why Isabel would fall in love with Jack...who can explain love? I will say her falling into love with him happened way too fast...but it was all right though.

I LOVED that they used the original logo font as the opening title, instead of what they have used on the posters.

I literally had tears in my eyes when Isabel was watching the first episode...seeing Elizabeth Montgomery on the big screen was so awesome! And Isabel's reactions were sweet! I was also pleasantly surprised that they used clips from "The Joker is a Card" episode with Paul Lynde.

I think that Sony has missed out on all the merchandising...I find it weird that they used the BW Barbie in a different box, and in my opinion better outfit without releasing one for everyone to buy...and where is the snowglobe? And the big ceramic cookie jar that seems to be different than what we've seen? And the broom?

When I read the original script I wasn't too keen on the doll twitching but I think it worked in the movie. I thought that it and the picture of EM seemed to signify that the spirit of Samantha was at work, or possibly even Samantha herself.

I thought the scenes between Isabel and Jack were so sweet. I felt they were very romantic, especially the dancing scene.

I didn't like the vulgarities in the movie...it seemed like they were placed there to draw in the young male crowd...totally out of place. But that's a minor gripe.

My biggest gripe, though minor compared to how much I enjoyed the movie, is the character of Uncle Arthur. Steve Carrell has the voice down but that was it. He was really annoying and frankly served no purpose. And I hated that Jack said that every time Uncle Arthur appeared a mirror cracked...that only happened in "Super Arthur".

I liked that Isabel seriously got mad with Jack and showed him really who's boss...and I about died with laughter when she zapped the lights down onto Sheila!!! I couldn't believe that she did that though it was hilarious...and I was glad she realized that it was a bit impulsive and reversed it.

Aunt Clara seems to me to be not only a relative of Samantha's but of Isabel's and I LOVED that they had her bag of doorknobs fall down the chimney with her. I didn't think she was as bumbling as Marion Lorne in the least, but I felt she embodied the sweetness and love of the character.

I really felt that Shirley Maclane didn't put enough of herself into this role...like she was only doing it for the money. I found her scenes as Endora not that great at all, and when she was casting spells on Nigel's conquests, really cheesy. I found it interesting that she is a witch which leads me to believe that there possibly will be a sequel explaining her history with Isabel, Nigel and possibly Samantha, which would also explain Aunt Clara, and maybe Uncle Arthur.

Regarding the effects, I can't remember if I read it or watched it, but there was an interview with Nora Ephron who said she wanted the effects in this movie to be really low key, like they were on the show, because it's supposed to be more about the relationship than the magic.

I really got chills when Isabel was seen riding across the moon. That was really spooky and cool.

I can't wait to see it again!

BTW, the audience I was with seemed to love it! They were laughing almost through the whole movie and many of them seemed to be so pleased when the original BW was seen on the screen. It'll be interesting to see what the audience reactions here in my hometown are.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Give it average rating. A few funny moments, but another forgettable TV show movie. Kidman was pretty cute in it though ;)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I should have listened to my friends at Sony. They warned me it was bad, but I didn't want to believe it. I REALLY wanted to like this film but I have to say that I thought it was just dreadful. Not one iota of genuine charm or humor in the piece. And the audience I saw it with here in LA sat like a rock through it all. Banal beyond belief.

I was very glad to see that they "got" the series, and paid lovely tribute to both it and Lizzie, but the screenplay and direction were among the worst I've seen in years.

I thought Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine were totally wasted, and looked like they were trying to find their characters. I can't fault the cast too much, because they weren't really given anything to do. The premise was great, and it was refreshing that it wasn't a straight-ahead remake, but none of the characters were charming or even likeable. And the whole thing with the doll and Aunt Clara/Uncle Arthur was just too unmotivated. Nice bits recalling the series helped me get through it, but I seriously wanted both my money and the 90 minutes of my life back. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie so poorly executed. Even the music was dreadful.

Trying to find something positive about the film, I loved the premise that if they were to redo BW, it would be as a cheesey 4-camera show with a live studio audience. That is EXACTLY what it would be reduced to in this day and age.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
BEWITCHED was just awful. Nora Ephron killed what could have been an engaging franchise. The film falls flat at every level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks