Bewitched to the Big Screen...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DeathStar1, Sep 20, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/bewitched.html
    I somehow can't see Kidman as Samantha. She dosn't seem to have that eternally nice, almost goofy politeness about her that the original actress did. Same goes for most of the choices for Darren.
    Jim Carrey might be able to pull it off, even if he dosn't look the part, as could Mike Meyers....

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

"I somehow can't see Kidman as Samantha. She dosn't seem to have that eternally nice, almost goofy politeness about her that the original actress did."

Especially with Kidman getting a "bad girl" image in real life. Elizabeth Montgomery did really set the tone for Samantha as a nice, down to Earth kind of gal.

Although, she can do comedy as in "To Die For."

Knowing Hollywood's knack for 60's and 70's sitcom movies, I'd bet this will be a definite spoof and not a faithful hommage.

Dan

3. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

4. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Perhaps Reese Witherspoon? She has that sweet, good-natured persona. Though she may be a bit young for the role.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Facially, Kidman looks a lot like Montgomery. I think Kidman can pull off the role of Samantha.

7. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Kidman would probably be excellent as Samantha, but Jim Carrey is right out as Darren. Although somebody good with physical comedy would be ideal, Carrey is far too over the top. He might be good as Uncle Arthur, though.

Should he prove to have the necessary comic skills, Kyle Maclachlan would be the perfect choice physically.

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

When will it end? Am I the only one sick of old TV sitcom remakes on the big screen?
    Can't the studios come up with some fresh ideas?

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think Carrey, ala Truman Show type, would be dead-on for Darren actually. I think he enjoys pushing into those semi-serious roles now and could get a lot out of the film.

Kidman without a doubt could be excellent.

The one thing this concept has going for it is that the show itself really leaves any story rather wide open for interpretation...witches and romance have even been done before (along with various other magics - like Xanadu for example), so the concept works in film anyway without the "Bewitched" ties.

Second, you certainly have the opportunity for feminism undertones, exploring the suburban marriage standards (good and bad aspects), the overbearing mother-in-law for broad comedy (terrible pun not intended), and the general premise of magic to stir the plot up.

Put solid people on this project and I think they could actually make it sparkle. Just don't try to be extreme with it like crazy wacky magic situations or something. It should be a plot device only, not the whole show. Make the relationship between husband and wife the priority, keep it light romantic comedy of the "frustrating relationship" kind (Harry Met Sally for example) and you could have a homerun thanks to the built-in name brand appeal.

Or you could do a My Favorite Martian type translation and turn it right to crap.

11. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Another TV show into a movie. Sheesh. Where's MY MOTHER THE CAR: The Motion Picture?

12. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

One problem I think is the desire when remaking these things to pick actors who like like the original roles. Or that's how it seems to me...
    Surely if your idea is so weighted by how the characters look then you have a problem. Bewitched was a good idea for a sitcom but I don't really see it ever being much of a film. However, why care how the actors look in the roles - they're not going to match up to the originals so let anyone play.
    Personally Kidman scares the willies out of me. She just looks like a total 'bunny boiler' [​IMG]!! Dunno why...

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Shirley MacLaine should be Endora!

If they could pull off the comedy I'd use one of the below pairs of actors who I think look similar and switch Darren's mid-stream as suggested.

David Morse/Russell Crowe

Bruce Willis/Jerry Doyle

15. Rain

Rain Producer

16. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I really think this idea sucks. No way is it going to come close to recapturing the feel of the original. Spend the time and money on something new.

I don't need to see a recast JEANNIE movie either, thank you.

On a related note,FOX has a third BRADY BUNCH movie scheduled to debut in late November. Something about BRADY BUNCH GOES TO WASHINGTON.

17. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Melissa Joan Hart. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I think MJH is pretty hot, but I'm pretty sure there's better people for the role. I've seen bits and pieces of the show, and I'm having a hard time thinking about how they'll turn it into a movie.

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

How about Helen Hunt as Sam? [​IMG]

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I agree with the earlier comment about Jim Carrey for Uncle Arthur.

Got another suggestion, Iam MacDiarmid as Maurice.

20. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit