What's new

Best wire for B&W 600 Series S3 (1 Viewer)

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently using Acoustic Research 12-gauge copper wire, bi-wired for my B&W DM601 S3 speakers. I'm using a Marantz SR7200 Receiver which is on the "warm" and musical side.

Does anyone have experience on upgrading their wire to more popular brands like Van del Hul, IXOS, etc. and noticed a big difference?

I'm looking for ways to improve detail and bass with my speakers.

Danny-H

Auditioning
want detail and bass??

Hard to say.Id check out Transparent, Audioquest, and Kimbercable.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Myki,

I have the 600 series all the way around in my HT (604S3, LCR600S3, and 600S3). I think the most important part is to use the right size of wire, you don't want cheap stuff but I'm not totally convinced that a $100 12g cable will sound better than the radio shack copper 12g that I have now. I have radio shack 12g to my mains, bi-wired generic 14g to the center and IXOS 16g to my rears. It all sounds pretty darn good to me.

-Aaron

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice Aaron. I guess I can only justify spending for "better" wire if I can at least demo it with my system with my friends, and see if there is a substantial improvement. If not, then I can just save for a better DVD player.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Myki,
Thats a good solution, it's my personal opinion that the laws of diminishing returns kick in pretty quickly for wiring. I dont' want to use crap wire, but at least on my system I don't see the need for kimber or anything like that. I have thought about switching wire before purely based on looks though... :)
-Aaron

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I compared some MIT cables (not sure which one but over $200 at least) with my cheap Cambridge Sound Works 12 guage copper wire. I did only 2-channel evaluation. This was with a classe amp and N805's. I couldn't hear any differences. I could hear differences when using the classe vs denon amp, but not with the wires.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I'm using some old BetterCables with my B&W 603s2 towers. It was pretty cheap, had a 6 month money back guarantee, and looks quite handsome. I had been using some really crappy zip-wire, and the improvement was easily heard (speakers sounded "louder", so I didn't have to turn up the volume as much, bass sounded a bit deeper).

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Try van den Hul cables. They worked well (mine is the entry-level "Clearwater") with my B&W's (CDM 1NT). I used them bi-wired... it really makes a difference (although slight) compared to single-wired, at least with B&W's, whose crossover filters are physically separated throughout.

I used to have a heavier-gauge cable (MIT T2, single-wire) for the B&W, but it seemed to roll off the highs a bit, although the bass was weightier. Probably more to do with the heavy wire gauge than the "Terminator" network box.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Arnel, it's nice to see you hear. :)

Yes, I too found a slight difference in clarity when bi-wired. I'll see if I can look for friends who has MITs or van den Hul cables that are willing to lend it to me for testing. I think it's best to hear the difference first and then buy... rather than the other way around. :)

But definitely, since I only have a modest system, the very expensive wires are out of the question. I'll just save for a DVD-A player or somethings.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks