What's new

Best TV for under $1,500 for viewing dvds? (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
Im looking to upgrade to a widerscreen tv that fits most of todays dvds. Anyone have a suggestion on one to get? I can't go much over $1500. Thanks

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I don't have the best knowledge on this forum, but I think most or all widescreen televisions are upwards of $3000 in major retail stores. You could probably find slightly cheaper prices online.

I'm not 100% confident with my reply, so someone jump in here if I'm out of line.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
They aren't really. You can get the 47" Panasonic (which is a forum favorite) for under 1500.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The RCA 38 inch widescreen direct view with built in Direct TV and HD decoder, all 200+ lbs., is being closed out at a lot of places for under $2k too. Best Buy has an open box but for $1,699 and if you have a 10% off coupon (my friend indicated he did for this weekend) then the cost would be in the ball park as well.

Craig

Second Unit
For DVDs a rear projection widescreen is the way to go. You should be able to get both the Panasonic 47" and the Toshiba 42" under $2000, probably others also, I just haven't been keeping up with RPTVs lately.
As far as online shopping check out www.consumer-direct.com and www.onecall.com just to get some idea.
I notice One Call has the Panasonic 47" for $1529 including shipping and the Tosh 42" for about the same price.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
My Grandpa got his 40" (or 42"?)Toshiba for around $1500+tax, and that's an HD-Ready model at Electronic Express.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Craig, you can get the 47" Panny for 1399 with free shipping...I just checked.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
...that fits most of todays dvds.
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Are you speaking of the fact that DVDs of modern films are mostly widescreen presentations? Just curious.

For your price range, the 47-inch Panny is hard to beat. The Tosh is a solid contender, too.

Or you might consider some of the better direct-view sets (Sony XBR series, for one).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That's still pretty expensive considering you can go 17" bigger for the same (or lower) price.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah it is a matter of wanting a glass widescreen over a RPTV though.

Where can you get a 17inch bigger set for cheaper? I noticed you said you can get the Panasonic for 1399.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks