What's new

Best tax prep software- ease of use and bang for the buck (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
whats the best tax prep software out there for ease of use and bang for the buck. My fiance and I have never prepared our own taxes before and we both will have two jobs this year (recent college grads so we have the jobs we had in college and the ones we have now). If anyone has used more than one software package, what did you like/dislike about each?

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
I like the TaxCut software from HR Block/Kiplingers. We used the regular version without the state tax option because we live in Florida and we don't pay state tax. Did my taxes last night and we are getting $2600 back. I couldn't believe it but you can't screw it up. We filed them electronically through the software for $14.95 and we will get our refund in 2 weeks.

I bought and downloaded the software off the TaxCut.Com site for $14.95.

Craig

Second Unit
Both Kiplinger's TaxCut and TurboTax are easy to use. I think TaxCut was rated a bit easier to use a couple of years ago. I've used both and didn't think there was any real difference. They both guide you through the process, you won't have to hunt around for where to enter amounts. Basically you answer questions about types of income/deductions and the software prompts you for amounts, etc. and pretty much takes care of everything for you.

Another advantage is they contain all the forms you'll need. If you have some oddball deduction you won't have to hunt around for the correct form, you won't end up calling the IRS or running to the public library to try to find something.

Electronic filing is a further advantage, you'll get your money back much faster if you have a refund due.

Denward

Supporting Actor
There probably aren't too many people who have used both Taxcut and Turbotax. Once you've used one, why bother experimenting with the other, unless you're a software reviewer? I've used Turbotax for the past few years. Assuming they're similar, Taxcut should give you better bang for your buck since it's cheaper and I'm sure it will do fine. I always buy Turbotax Deluxe because it includes (all free after rebate) Turbotax State, electronic filing, and update to my Quicken software.

BTW, having 2 jobs doesn't really complicate your taxes. It just means you need to add up both W-2s. Off the top of my head, it only gets more complicated if you don't qualify for the 1040EZ form anymore or you made more than about $80,000 last year in which case you might have overpaid social security taxes and you would be entitled to get that money back.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I used Turbo Tax a few years ago and have used Tax Cut the last few years. I don't remember if one was much or any better than the other. I just switched because Tax Cut was cheaper, at least around here. The Deluxe addition includes free State tax software - actually, you have to pay to download it but they eventually send you a rebate - and they also rebate the price of filing electronically.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think Turbotax is great. The main reason I use it over other software is that since it's made by Intuit, I figure the download from Quicken would be easier.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, third year TurboTax user here, and I am also a satisfied customer. I hven't used anything else though.

/Mike

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Question for all you Turbo Tax users out there:
Q: What if I need to file in multiple states (moved from Mississippi to Washington State this year) or I need to file for a different state other than the one I currently live in?
Is this all possible w/ Turbo Tax? Any special version I need to purchase?
Actually, my taxes are easy - I'm military and I'm also an Illinois resident so I don't pay any state taxes at all. Washington State is also tax free (I think?).
So the only State I need to actually prepare a return for is for my wife's previous job in Biloxi, MS.
Thanks for any feedback - I have never prepared my own taxes - but I'm sure w/ the software it would be no problem. Just worried about the state stuff.
Mike

Shawn McBride

Stunt Coordinator
I've used Turbo-Tax for the last few years. I recently borrowed a copy of Tax-Cut to try it out. For the basic stuff like entering W2's and other info they were about the same. I like the layout of Turbo-Tax better but that's probably because I'm used to it.

I found Turbo-Tax much easer to use, though, when dealing with stock transactions, especially my company's stock purchase plan. If you're not clear on the purchase plan rules, it would be easy to over-pay with Tax-Cut.

I saw Turbo-Tax Deluxe today at Fry's free with mail-in rebate. Don't know if there was a catch to it.

SHawn.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Q: What if I need to file in multiple states (moved from Mississippi to Washington State this year) or I need to file for a different state other than the one I currently live in?

Yes, you can file in multiple or for another one you live in. The Turbo Tax Deluxe software allows for one free state software download (via rebate) so if you need to file in more than one state, you'll have to assume the cost for the second state download.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the information Craig - I actually went ahead and filed my Federal Income Taxes last night, using www.turbotax.com
It only cost $9.95 for my wife and I (Filed Jointly) to file a 1040EZ. I highly recommend using the turbotax web site - very easy to use - even w/ multiple jobs/incomes. No problems whatsoever - Plus: Direct Deposit in 10-16 days.
The $$$ we are getting back is going towards THE HOME THEATER CRUISE later this year. I can't wait!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I used turbo tax for the first time this year for my taxes and anyone that makes under 25,000 a year files for free :) So i got $$$ being direct deposited and thats going toward a new tv for my room and a all region dvd player

capt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks