What's new

Best subwoofer....cost not really a prob. (1 Viewer)

Brandon*P

Auditioning
What's a superb subwoofer that hits hard when it needs and is punchy or soft when it calls for it. Cost not really an issue but lets aim for the 500-1000 range. Maybe a bit higher if the cost is worth the difference.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon,

There are a myriad of possibles out there, do a search on this forum for:

SVS

or

HSU

These will get you started

Chip E

Screenwriter
Hi Brandon,

David's suggestions are right on. SVS and HSU are great subs. I own an SVS, as many here do. For $1199.00 the SVS PB2+ is probably the most sub for the money IMO. I ordered one two days ago. They also just announced a PB2-ISD (improved Standard Driver) that should be exactly in your price range. That actually might be a good choice for you too.

PB2-ISD: $899.00

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_isd.htm

PB2+: $1199.00

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_plus.htm

John Beavers

Second Unit
Cost not really an issue
Now, if this were really the case ;) then the new digital drive series from Velodyne would be what I'd recommended. I'd love to have one of these, but they are a might pricey, the 12" goes for $3.5K, but with the onboard equalizer, and provided microphone and onscreen programming this has got to be a contender for ultimate sub for movies and music.

http://www.velodyne.com/pages/produc...italDrive.html

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Obviously cost is a factor if he wants to keep it around 1K so I don't think the Velodyne would be in the running. BTW....they are good subs but overpriced.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Krell MRS. Oh, wait... its $30K sticker is a little above the target. ;)

Seriously, how about DIY? A Stryke AV-15, a Rythmik or Hypex plate amp, and some 1"MDF is right in your range and will blow the doors off any

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I'm confused. Is cost an issue, or not? I think I'm seeing both statements here. That really would decide on the recomendations you're going to get.

Aaron

BobbyP

Auditioning
There's no need ta spend the big bucks. I have
a SVS 25-31PCI, and it does the job. Sounds fine with
movies or music. It was $549 and I think the shipping and fondling was around $23. I have it in the front right
corner of a 14 by 15 foot room.

BobbyP
Brandon,Wi.

John Beavers

Second Unit

Well, "or so" could leave alot of room for interpretation :D

As for the other recommendations in this thread, I've heard a few of them, and they are good, though the problem is most rooms have "nodes" that excite low bass frequencies, and can produce standing waves that can make a good sub unpleasant to listen to. In my room, without using the room correction software in my pre-pro, my sub gets very boomy. I've got a +7db 40hz hump that is too wicked. So, if you're going to invest a decent amount of money for a quality sub it's something to consider. Why spend a grand on something that you may only be able to stand with movies. For music, unless you have the acoustically perfect room, you're going to need some way to tame the low bass room issues you'll probably have.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
John,
A $200 Parametric eq will fix that. BFD works fine.

Cost NOT really a problem is a bit of an understatement ;)

Ned

Supporting Actor
A superb, cost is no issue sub that's between $500-1000. What's the point of this thread?

John Beavers

Second Unit

Very true Shane, I had one of those a few years ago and it solved my 40hz hump issue when I didn't have a pre-pro that could do room correction

Jed

Grip
Maybe not the best, but a good contender for the most excessive - in my father's last house, he had a 30" EV (electro-voice) transducer installed under one of our staircases leading to the basement. The side of the staricase was the baffle. It was a sealed enclosure and driven by his trusty Heathkit amplifier (which still runs like a champ today!).

That thing would rattle the entire house. That sub gets my vote.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I concur w/ many others. Get the best powered SVS you can afford while leaving room for a parametric EQ. With a little tweaking, you'll be in bass heaven!

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone elaborate on this Parametric EQ? Is it specificaly for Bass tones? Where to buy? Are there different models? Is there one specifically for Bass? What type of cables are needed? A link would be great. Thanks.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
The Behringer Feedback Destroyer is a 2 channel 12 band fully parametric EQ that has computerized filters to stop microphone feedback in a few milliseconds. Audio enthusiasts use it solely as a parametric EQ. Because the 12 bands per channel are fully adjustable, you can actually stuff 12 different EQ points in the range from 16hz to 80hz or 100hz (depending on where your sub upper cutoff frequency is). As a fully parametric EQ adjustable for center frequency, gain, and "Q", you can overlap each frequency curve, and with a little work, completely flatten your sub's response. For example...if you have a big peak at 40-50hz due to room factors, AND a lesser response peak from 40-70hz due to the sub's own characteristics, you can overlap the curves by setting a narrow Q at 45hz and a broader Q at 55hz and adjusting the gain for each until the respose for both is flat. My SVS is flat within +-1db from under 20hz to 100hz after using the BFD.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDSP1124P

Brandon*P

Auditioning
Sorry that I gave a price range... lighten up. My roommates actually looking at that digital drive series from Velodyne. Cost really wasn't an issue but I didn't think subs went a whole lot higher than 1000. But in my experience in car audio, you get what you pay for. He might as well buy that Velodyne because hes spending alot on the Denon 5803. Thanks for the input to those who actually gave it.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Bill.

Thanks for the information about the equalizer. A few more questions if I may. I assume that I can use my radio shack DB meter to measure db, would that be in slow response, C weighted? Can you recommend a good disc for the sweeps? And what cables do I need to utilize this EQ? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks