What's new

Best speaker set-up for 3200cuft room (1 Viewer)

JeffMcC

Grip
Best Speakers for Long 3200 cubic ft Room
Looking for ideas on what to do/not to do for speakers for a 7.1 speaker set up in a fairly long narrow room. I've posted a bunch of questions on specific speakers, but since my room has built-in limitations (as I have learned...), I guess it makes sense to narrow the field on types then brands of speakers to begin with.

Here's the deal : room is 12' wide and 21' long. Front wall is 3-sided 6'x6'x6' (12 feet across - actually it's the bump out of my foundation for a picture window) The rest of the room is 21 feet deep with the last 7 feet in back having two 8" risers for seating (8" and 16" tall). It's has in wall boxes wired with 12 gauge for a 7.1 set-up. So I'm thinking of towers in front and a GOOD center, 2 wall mount for surrounds, and 2 wall mount for rears.

I'm planning on finishing out with 1" insulshield on front wall, and to ear level on sides and back. Above ear level sides and back with batting. My listening is 50% movies and 50% music (SACDs are cool!)

So, given that it's a long and narrow room what types of speakers would work best? Particulary concerned that I heard front speakers (tower?) should be 1/3 in from side walls - even at only 3' in that leaves me only 6' for screen - if they are right next to it which doesn't sound to good to me.

Types: Thinking full range all around for music makes sense - towers for fronts, a switchable dipole/bipole for surrounds? (Dipole for movies, Bipole for music), and something to match the set for backs.

Brands - completely befuddled since I think I need to get the types above figured out first - then plumb brands that meet the requirements....

Help, Please!!
Jeff McC

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jeff... I would contact both Axiom and AV123.com ... They both make great systems for your price range, and have the expertise to assist you with your room...

They both also have subwoofers, but you may want to add Hsu and SVS into the subwoofer mix...

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I have quite a bit more sq. ft. than that and went with top of the line Axioms (M80, VP150, QS8, and a pair of M22ti's at the rear). Of course then I blew my budget when I got a pair of SVS PC-Ultra's! :) Anyway, everything is working out great. Check my home page for pics of the system, or click here for more information about Axiom speakers.

Good luck, Bill

JeffMcC

Grip
Hi Bill,

Had been considering Axiom along with Aperion. Deeper research seems to point towards Axiom - especially the M80 towers!

Should I consider Axiom's top sub (350?) to match the entire set-up? I was leaning towards SVS or HSU previously when considering Aperion.

JeffMcC

Grip
Addendum - On the sub - I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a separate sub - the SVS PSB2 ISD at $899. The reviews and specs look awesome.
Seems a worthwhile upgrade to the Axiom sub.

So, I'm looking at the following 7.1 set up:

Axiom:
2 M80ti Towers
2 QS8 Surrounds
2 M3ti Backs
1 VP150 center

SVS:
PSB2 ISD

Total cost= $2,984

What do you think of the choice? I'm getting an itch...

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I like your choice of subs. But I am a Rocket man after trying the two choices you mentioned out. Call one of the guys at av123... lots of close out stuff going on right now as well as sales. I think you can get real wood for the same amount of money and boy do they look as good as they sound. Sorry not to pounce on the Axiom folks as they make a great speaker. Its just like anyone else's speaker, which one will do it for you. To get an idea if you can't find a host somewhere that will let you listen is order the center speaker from each company. I will tell you the the bigfoot 200 by Rocket is by far the best center I have heard in 10 years. I have been through Klipsch, NHT and Atlantic Tech before deciding on the Rockets. I am very happy now with my set up including the PB2+ from SVS.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Although it's true that Axioms are vinyl covered, they look darn good and if one didn't know, you'd swear you were looking at wood cabinetry.

- Bill

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Jeff, Just make sure your receiver or amp can drive the 4 Ohm loads that the Axiom towers you are looking at require.

JeffMcC

Grip
Wayne and others,

I have the Yamaha RX-V2400. It doesn't say anything about required speaker loads. It does have a setting for 6/8 ohm, but I read an adioholics review of the 2400 that recomended keeping it set at 8 ohm even when running 4ohm speakers (article claims setting to 6 on the receiver "steps down the voltage feed to the power sections which can limit dynamics and overall fidelity").
Articl says to keep well ventilated and you'll be fine.

Any comments on the validity of this???

I'm not sure your Yamaha can power those 4 ohm towers adequately, you really need to research this some more. If your budget allows it, and you really have your heart set on the 4 ohm speakers, you could buy a 2 or 3 channel amp to power your fronts and center. I did this with my Yamaha 1400 and it works great.

As for the QS8's, Dolby and others recommend mono-pole speakers for a 7.1 system. With speakers at your sides and behind you, some directionality is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks