What's new

Best shocking , dramatic gutwrenching scenes. (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I'd like to see what you guys consider the best gutwrenching scenes are in movie history. You know the ones where your jaw just drops to the floor or you feel like you've been punched in the stomach and your emotional involvement in the movie has quadrupled!

Some examples :

Braveheart :When the English lord slits Murran's throat.

The Patriot : When Mel Gibson's son is shot and killed.

Star Wars:When Luke sees that Owen and Beru have been murdered by the Stormtrooper with that great John Williams music! You know Lukes world has been turned upside down.

The Empire Strikes Back:When Vader says "No, I am your Father"

Return of the Jedi:When Vader kills the Emperor. This is probably my favorite movie scene of all time. I remember when Vader said perhaps Leia would turn to the Dark SIde, I just wanted Luke to kill him and I was convinced there was no good at all in him and was totally stunned when he saved Luke.

Gladiator : Your wondering why Commodus has the courage to fight Maximus and then he stabs him in the heart. Then the great choral scoring by Zimmer. Tears gush from my eyes every time.

I could add some more but I'd like to see some other peoples nominations are.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Oh yeah and one of my favorites I'm guessing no one else would add

Bakshi's Lord of the Rings :When Borimir is just slaughtered by the Orcs. What a heartbreaker scene.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Dancer in the Dark

Selma singing, waiting for the phonecall, getting the call and waiting to hang her

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Saving Private Ryan:

When the german soldier stabs Mellish in the heart.

Schlinder's List:

The massacre in the Jewish ghetto in Poland, among many others.

Grave of the Fireflies:

The split second shots of the children's mother being thrown into the mass grave, heavily bandaged with maggots already eating at her corpse. These shots are interspersed with shots of the boy's face as a realized what really happened to her in that moment.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I know its recent but I have to mention it. In Lord of the Rings:

When Gandalf falls from the Bridge of Khazad-Dum and Frodo screams no while being help back by Boromir. I swear I almost got up in the the theater and screamed no with him. The scene afterwards where the fellowship is mourning his loss is just as gut-wrenching. I had tears coming during that scene. Powerful stuff!

In Braveheart:

At the end when Wallaces sword is thrown into the air and they start to charge the English. Right after the "bleed with me line". I wanted a sword so bad at that point. I was ready to fight with them.

In Return of the Jedi:

I totally agree with the Vader turning on the Emporer scene. The minute he picked him up and the Williams score started to swell I just couldn't sit still

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hands down, the recreation of the sinking of the RMS TITANIC in James Camerons film remains the most monumental achievment in movie history!
This was no movie, this was nothing short of a window into the past, and I was thier, witnessing this huge machine slowly sink out from under the feet of thousands of people. And then when the ship cracks and breaks, it was almost graphic in it's depiction of how physics affect a sinking ship, just aweful to watch!
Second vote goes easily to the Normandy beach invasion in 'Saving Private Ryan'! As with 'Titanic', it is nothing short of real, undeniably, unflinchingly real.
Third, it would have to be the plane crash vision scene in 'Final Destination'. I am deathly afraid of flying anyway, and after that scene, I felt dizzy!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There are two scenes in the new release Monster's Ball that knocked me back in my seat. But I'm not going to describe them, even with spoiler tags, because the film is still in very limited distribution, and it would be unfair to give away any secrets. See it and you'll know what I mean.

I also agree with John's selection of Titanic, although the scene that got to me came earlier in the film. It's the one that's been endlessly parodied, with Jack and Rose at the bow of the ship ("I'm flying!"). The scene ends with a dissolve, at first almost imperceptible, to the corroded bow of the sunken ship years later. Thanks to the CGI wizards, the dissolve happens unexpectedly during a camera move, and it caught me completely off-guard. It summed up in one shot the devastation that lay ahead.

M.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Off hand, four come to mind

1. The scene in Saving Private Ryan when the German soldier stabs the American to death.

2. Deer Hunter

the Russian roulette scenes

3. The choice scene in Sophie's Choice.

4. Everyone knows what scene in the original Psycho.

I'm editing this. I try to do these things without looking at others answers first, but when I saw the Patriot up there, I also chose this film, but for a different scene

the church burning scene

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Colour Purple

When Celie comes out of her shell at the dinner table and puts the knife to Mr's throat.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The final shot in The Third Man always gets to me as does the finale to Au Revoir Les Enfants.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I agree that the scene in Saving Private Ryan, where the guy is stabbed by the Nazi is horrifying especially the way he out of desparation tells him to stop and the Nazi sneers something in German
How the hell did this movie not win over Shakespeare in Love! ( I somehow envision several Shakespeare in Love fans posting really soon.)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yay! 13 posts from some real movie freaks, and nobody mentioned mine yet. Sweet!

How about...

the entire ending of...

Se7en!

Thanks guys!

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
For shocking, just watch a David Fincher flick. The Game, Fight Club, and Se7en have three of my favorite endings of all time.
Last of the Mohicans:
The last 15 minutes or so...powerful beyond belief.
Final Destination:
I was so shocked by the airplane exploding. I saw a sneak preview of the film, and was not expecting anything.
Braveheart:
All the aforementioned scenes.
Joy Luck Club:
I swear, I have no testicles whatsoever. I probably cried during this entire movie :)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
LOTR:FOTR- When Boromir is killed.

Lawrence of Arabia- Near the end when Lawrence goes mad and just starts shooting everything.

Gia- Final scene. Dying alone.

ANH- Sunset scene

ESB- I am your father

ROTJ- Death of Vader

TPM- Anakin leaving Shmi

David Dennison

Second Unit
I second the ending to Last of the Mohicans.

I'll also throw in the scene from the Godfather:

When Michael guns down Sollazo and the police chief. Powerful stuff.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
The first one that comes to mind,
Contact
The intentional bombing of the first machine by the wacked out religious zealot.
Oh Yeah, and the scene from The Thing with the dogs in the dog pen.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The end of The Vanishing -- no, not the English language re-make, they changed the ending for that, of course.

The scene from "Sometimes a Great Notion" where Richard Jaekel's character is pinned by a tree in rising water.

The final scenes of "Night of the Living Dead".

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks