What's new

Best reciever for under $1000 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Lin

Grip
I was looking around at recievers and I had decided on the HK AVR520, however I would just like to know what other recievers that are in the same price range that would give me more bang for the buck. Thanks!

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I general prefer denon and the 3802 seems to be a popular choice in the $1000 range.

DTS ES, DDEX, DPLII - all of the essentials and I believe it has more power. A friend of mine that works at a MAJOR HK retail chain says that there are a lot of quality issues with HK and a general complaint is lack of power for the price. However, he like its preamp section for being very smooth, but wouldn't really purchase one unless getting a lower priced HK with sub/sat system.

Elbert

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Try the Newcastle R-963 loaded with features and from what I hear, sounds awesome. Might be able to pick up on ebay for $1,000.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
You might also want to look at the Sony ES line, they have just drop the prices on them and the 5ES could be had for less than a grand.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'd throw in the 797. It's THX certified, and has THX Surroudn EX processing which can be a significant bonus, as well as its 24bit/192khz DACs for all channels. It also has 6 powered channels, one more than the 520, but of course can be used in 5.1, and will sound very good doing it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For mostly music or HT?
For music, I would not hesitate to recommend Marantz. SR6200 and 7200. Plenty of features, good amps, and excellent sound. Arguably the best sound under $1k.
I auditioned the 3802, and chose the 6200 over it. See this post
I liked the 3802, but Marantz sounds better to me and I am very pleased with it.
I was also impressed with the Onkyo TX-DS595, though it is discontinued and will soon be replaced by the 600. I would give the 600 a listen also. If you need a receiver sooner, you should still be able to find stores that carry the 595 or might have open box or demo units.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
When I went shopping for a new receiver I wanted a great 2 channel amp combinded with very good HT performance for under a grand. I found the Nakamichi AV10 for around $800. It has amazing power for a receiver, in fact probably the best powered non-separate. It doesn't have a bunch of wiz bang DSPs, but I never use that stuff anyway. The one thing I do miss, however, is 6-channel inputs for DVD-A.
Plus it looks really clean. Great receiver and I recommend it.
http://www.nakamichi.com/home/AVRECVRS/AV10.HTM

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
i would 3rd the 3802 and throw in the yamaha rx-v2200. the 3802 has a great warm sound, has the 7 amps and good power. plus it is built like a tank. i am getting the rx-v2200. i think it has a great dynamic sound for music and sounds amazing for ht. plus i think yamaha has one of the best reliability histories. the newer yamahas do not sound nearly as bright as the older ones. either one would be a great receiver, it just comes down to personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks