What's new

College student new to HT looking for advice on HSU! (1 Viewer)

Ben Pevarski

Auditioning
I'm a 21 year old college student looking for a 5.1 home theater solution for my house. I have a room that's roughly 12 by 18 and have a reciever but need to buy speakers and a sub and I'm looking to spend under 1000, but the closer to 500 the better. I have a set of the ProMedia 5.1 speakers by Klipsch for my computer, and enjoy how they sound so I went to Best Buy and looked into the KSW-12 with the Quintet speakers. I then went home to see pricing on a set and ran into the HSU research website. From all I've read I've started to lean more towards getting a package from HSU research, the Ventriloquist speakers with a STF-3 or maybe even the VTF-3. I'm looking for recommendations on what I should purchase... and if you do recommend HSU please let me know if its worth the extra 180-200 for the VTF-3 over the STF-3? Thanks!

-Ben

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
Ben what school do you go to and where do you live? I go to Kennesaw State. My roomate has the klipsch speaks that your talking about and I would say keep those and buy the best sub you can afford. Have you got a receiver yet or do you use a computer? I can't imagine that the quintets or ventriloquist systems are much better then the klipsch promedias but you should try and get a listen to the other two to really decide.

Ben Pevarski

Auditioning
I go to Georgia Tech... live off off Howell Mill. I have a RCA STAV-3870 receiver... i don't know anything about it, but i figured i'd buy speakers and a sub and see how it goes. I have my promedia speakers set up with a music box (computer with just mp3's) for use downstairs... i need a new set of speakers and sub for our big screen upstairs. 500-800 is a price range... but willing to spend a extra couple of hundred if its really worth it. Open for all suggestions but still looking for people who have heard the STF/VTF 3 and Ventriliquist series!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
STF-3 and VTF-3 is basically the same as the VTF-3 in max extension mode and without the ability to set it to max output (Single Tuning Frequency vs Variable Tuning Frequency). So unless you think you'll NEED the tuning capability, go with the STF-3.

Ben Pevarski

Auditioning
Thanks, so you would go with the 740 dollar STF-3 and ventriloquist package, or does anyone have suggestions for a similarly priced speakers/sub combo?

Jacob C

Second Unit
I pretty sure the STF is in max output mode. Ben, I have heard good things about that system and its probably one of the better deals at the price. I would look at the STF and VTF and decide which is for you. Sounds like you are leaning toward the STF. Even if that system isnt perfect you will have a very nice sub that you can continue to use if you upgrade your mains. I am considering a VTF3 as part of a much higher end system. The subs are that good. The way I see it its hard to go wrong. The only option I would mention has be brought up already, to keep your speakers and just get the sub for now.

Ben Pevarski

Auditioning
Well, i'm pretty much set on either the VTF3 or STF3... i was wondering if anyone has heard the Ventriloquist speakers? Are these comparable to Klipsch Quintet speakers? Any other speakers people would suggest getting?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Just a note: look up these speakers on ebay, sometimes people sell them pretty cheap. Everything I've ever heard about them has been great -- for a sat system. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I looked up the specs and it says 25Hz as the -3dB, so it probably is max extension. In that case, it will have plenty of headroom, but it won't go quite as deep (20hz vs 25hz), so if you're looking for a little more depth, you may want to consider the VTF instead.

Ben Pevarski

Auditioning
I have been considering using a couple of my promedia speakers as rear speakers, and the center as my center channel speaker, then buying either a RB-25 or SB-2. I've been looking at specs for both the reference series and the synergy series, and i really can't tell what the main difference is between the two. Can anyone give me info on the two series?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks