Best Sub Brands

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MichaelBAr, Jan 19, 2004.

1. MichaelBAr

MichaelBAr Stunt Coordinator

What are the best sub brands. I know that everyone has their own personal opinions but I just want to know in general. The price range would probably be under 200. I want to know even if its out of reach, just incase I see some guy at a yardsale selling a $1000 sub for $100. I'm mainly looking for the more affordable ones though.

I'm mainly searching for an active sub with at least 100 watts and at least a 10" driver (maybe an 8" one). It has to have speaker out (I think its speaker out, but its a feature that lets me connect my speakers to my sub then sub to reciever).

Heres what I've discovered:
    Klipsch ($$$) - Really good
    KLH - not good
    Sony -good
    Dayton(Parts express brand) - good
    Velodyne - good

Other ones which I'm not sure about include: Yamaha, BIC, Acoustic Research, Onkyo and Jensen

2. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

KLH subs are actually good, though the speakers they make are not so good. I remember hearing a center/rear channel packaged speakers, and the center was ok, but the rear speakers didnt even make proper sound, more like alien noises.

If you do run across Velodyne subs, which are very expensive, go for it. The new Sony subs can be found on ebay for a really good price, such as the WM500 for $132 or so.

3. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

Hsu and SVS are very good, but you won't be able to touch either for $200.

SVS's cheapest sub is about $575 new.
    Hsu's lower end line are about $300 (I think).

You'd probably have to look at subs in a retail store that sell for at least 2-3X times more than what an Hsu or SVS sells for to (maybe) get comparably performance.

If you're getting this for a HT then you may be better off holding off your purchase. $200, esp at retail, is not going to buy you much -- very different than other speakers.

4. Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C Stunt Coordinator

I bought an Athena AS-P400 online for $299 plus $35 shipping and so far I love it.

5. MichaelBAr

well actually I want this for my room (15 years old so don't have much money. We have a much better home theater set up in the living room though.

6. Roger Q

I assume that means you only need it for music; therefore, you won't need the extension of a Hsu or SVS.

7. Roger Q

Have you looked into a DIY sub?
    That'll be your biggest bang for the buck.

8. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

pick up an edition of stereophile or stereophile guide to home theater. flip to the back, there are ads for last year's model of velodyne's. i remember seeing one for ~$200. velodyne's have a pretty good markup (compared to everyone else), so old models are VERY cheap sometimes. if you cant find it, send me an email and ill look it up.

9. MichaelBAr

Well I mainly listen to music but i watch dvd movies also. I like to watch movies in my room better for some reason. The video and audio in the living room is much more better, but I fell comfortable in my room.

I've hardly looked into diy subs. I'm still searching. How would I do it? Do I buy all parts seperatley? Where can I get all the parts?

I'll look into the velodyne's

10. MichaelBAr

Can I get a prebuilt sub then upgrade (through time) by adding better drivers and amps (what if its dayton)?

11. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

you can buy a prebuilt and upgrade, but the cabinet is really made for that driver. you COULD find one that would go in there, but it might not work as well, etc...

you could build your own. im working on one right now thats grand totalling at $50 [​IMG]

12. MichaelBAr

ok, so if i get one that has a dayton driver in it installed then another dayton driver may work as well?

13. Roger Q

I'm not a DIY'er; however, I think that it would have been really cool to take up sub making when I was your age. I am the mechanical type, but I also have a spouse who probably wouldn't like anything that I built.

There are several DIY sites; unfortunately, I don't know the links. I am sure a few others can give them to you or a google search. Some of the sites will even give you blueprints for commonly made DIY subs.

Just a thought.

14. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

From what I hear on this forum are The top choices would be SVS, followed closely by SVS, and rounding out the top 3 SVS. An honorable mention would go to HSU.

Greg

15. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

That pretty much sums it up greg. Lets not forget the (Bose powered bass module) though [​IMG]

16. BenCosta

BenCosta Agent

I'm going to take a look at the SVS as well as the LFM-1 for my folks. I have a Rel Storm that is very musical.

Peace-

Ben

17. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

As for swapping a Dayton driver for another Dayton: It's not that simple. Speaker drivers (including subwoofers) have specific electromechanical parameters (such as the resonance frequency of the cone and suspension system, and the control that the magnet has over the motion of the voice coil, etc.) that vary from driver to driver, even within brands. Brand has nothing to do with it. A subwoofer enclosure is optimized to work in harmony with the supplied driver's electromechanical parameters. If the parameters of the new driver do not match the old driver, then the new enclosure will suffer performance problems. Either the bass will not go deep enough, or it will not go very loud, or worse - the enclosure could possibly be so out of match with the driver that the enclosure provides no support to the cone, and the amplifier's power causes the voice coil to "bottom out" against the back of the motor assembly, damaging the voice coil and eventually rendering the driver useless. It's really a bad idea to not substitute drivers unless you REALLY know what you're doing, and even then it takes a lot of effort and searching that would be otherwise unnecessary.

18. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Can't forget to put in my plug for the Paradigm PDR-10. I had one and loved it.

19. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Michael,

just a thought - you might get some good subs on ebay at or under your budget, if you don't mind used/refurbs. I saw a couple of Velodynes, a Definitve tech, a Paradigm PS-1000, a lot of JBL refurbs and some Yamaha YSTs [​IMG]

20. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

If your on a budget the Dayton will probably do you the best in terms of cost vs. performance. Sony makes a good sub if your listening to music, but for movies and such it sounds wayy tooo boomy for myself.

If your on a budget I think the Dayton will benefit you best. Also, the Klipsch subs are O.K., but your not going to see great performance until you hit there Reference series subwoofers, which run from about $400+.