What's new

Best receiver to match Paradigm Monitor. (1 Viewer)

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
I am about to get those Paradigm speakers :

front : Monitor 5
center : CC370
suround : ADP370
sub : PW2200

and I want to replace my Kenwood VR-410(It isn't that bad but now with those speaker...)

Now I got around 1k for a receiver to match this set

I might think of getting a 6.1 or 7.1(what is the difference anyway?) with DTS ES and DD EX decoder if I can get something descent under 1k and add a pair of Monitor 3 to my set.

if not than a good 5.1 receiver with DD and DTS and prologic II will be fine.

I was thinking maybe Denon or Onkio or Nad.

any good idea?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would skip the Monitor 3s and go with either another set of 5s or Minis instead. I haven't heard the V3 Monitor 3s, but the V2s were probably the worst of the line.
I have Monitor 5s and Minis with a Marantz SR6200, and I feel it is a very good combination. For $1K, you could get a 7200 and have some money left over.
Harmon Kardon AVR520 is also a good receiver under $1K.
I don't really feel Denon and Onkyo are in the same category as NAD.
If you are interested in Denon,this thread should be of interest. This is probably one of the better deals going on right now. That is also likely because new models will be out soon, however this receiver does everything you are asking for now at almost half it's original price.

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really feel Denon and Onkyo are in the same category as NAD.
sorry to ask, but you mean NAD is inferior ?

also, I forgot to said That I am 100% home theater, since I never listen to music on this system so I suppose that Harmon Kardon or Denon, might be the best choice?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Phil if your 100% home theater then the Denon 3802 is the winner imo. If you do a search on "Denon 3802" you will come up with an incredible amount of reviews & discussion all praising the 3802. It is a powerhouse receiver with all the bells & whistles that will fit your needs no problem. I have been enjoying my 3802 since xmas, and with a deal you can get now at $699 its just an incredible buy.

Good choice on speakers too. I love my Paradigms.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
sorry to ask, but you mean NAD is inferior?
No, I would consider it a step up from most (not necessarily all) of the models from either brand. Denon and Onkyo, besides their "flagship" receivers, I would consider Mid-fi, while NAD starts out in what I would consider Hi-fi. I haven't looked price wise at any NAD gear in a while, but I recently did an audition with B&W CDM line and all NAD gear. Not exactly inexpensive stuff. :D NAD tends not to be carried in bigger chain stores and I do not typically see Denon and Onkyo along side NAD components in the same store.

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your comment, it really help!

No, I would consider it a step up from most (not necessarily all) of the models from either brand. Denon and Onkyo, besides their "flagship" receivers, I would consider Mid-fi, while NAD starts out in what I would consider Hi-fi. I haven't looked price wise at any NAD gear in a while, but I recently did an audition with B&W CDM line and all NAD gear. Not exactly inexpensive stuff. NAD tends not to be carried in bigger chain stores and I do not typically see Denon and Onkyo along side NAD components in the same store.
in fact the only reason I mention NAD in my list was because my dealer where I will get my Paradigm speaker got NAD receiver so I figured out that I could get a good deal if I take a receiver with the speakers

any good NAD receiver around 1k?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
NAD to me is more for music, and not really geared towards Home Theater. NAD makes very good intergrated amps for 2ch audiophiles. If you looking to do only home theater than I would look more towards Denon.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Good choice Phil :emoji_thumbsup:
Your on a roll with all the new equipment and speakers that your getting. Doing a good job :emoji_thumbsup:
I forgot to mention earlier welcome to the forum. You will now see why HT is so addicting.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree that NAD is geared towards music, which is why they do not have as significant a presence in the HT market.

Denon is great for HT, but not as good for music. I found the 3802 "bland" for music, but not awful. Both Marantz and H/K easily do music better, but HT I felt was better with the 3802.

Nothing wrong with Titans as surrounds, that's what I've been using for a while now. They may not blend with the ADPs as well as a pair of Minis would though.

BTW: I have a pair of black V2 Titans that I don't really need now that I upgraded to the M5s for mains, the Minis will take over the Titans spot as surrounds. $175, no blemishes, ~1yr old. E-mail me if you are interested.

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
BTW: I have a pair of black V2 Titans that I don't really need now that I upgraded to the M5s for mains, the Minis will take over the Titans spot as surrounds. $175, no blemishes, ~1yr old. E-mail me if you are interested.
thanks for the offer, but I forgot to tell you that I am in Canada so I can get pretty good price for Paradigm speakers

my dealer got a pair of Titan V.2 used for 140$ CDN and new for 230$ so I don't think you guys pay that price in USA(175$ US is around 280$ in CDN for me so)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Those are some really good prices. If your still set on buying the 3802 I know for sure that you will be simply amazed when you watch a 6.1 DVD.

How's your DVD collection?

Some movies that you might want to pick up to test out your new system are:

Gladiator
Star Wars: Phantom Menace
Saving Private Ryan DTS
T2: Ultimate Edition
Toy Story 2
The Haunting DTS
The Whole Nine Yards

All of these movies have exceptional soundtracks worth hearing, espcecially since you have very nice sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
thanks for the offer, but I forgot to tell you that I am in Canada so I can get pretty good price for Paradigm speakers
Ahhh, never mind. :D
Titan:AE (DTS)
Eagles: Hell Freezes over (DTS)
Diana Krall: Live in Paris (DTS)
Superspeedway: Mach II (DTS ES)
Se7en:SE (DTS ES)
From Hell (DTS)
Fantasia 2000 (DTS)
Notice a pattern? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks