Best PVR Client For KODI (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Although I've more or less abandoned my HTPC for watching films after moving to 4K last year, I still use it everyday for music and occasionally Live TV. Up until last year I had been using JRiver's Media Center as a front end client. It's excellent for music but has always been a little clunky overall and stopped working for TV altogether some time ago. For those not familiar, JRiver is a paid solution and also charges for major version updates. I'm a few versions behind so I previewed the latest version and still could not get Live TV to work. With that I have returned to using Kodi and the Media Portal PVR backend. It works but is super slow loading channels sometimes.

All that to ask, who's using Kodi and what would you recommend as a replacement PVR backend?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use Kodi, and don't use HTPC for DVR (I'm a Tivo guy).

That said, my impression is Emby is actively supporting DVR, and it seems at times like that's the primary user base for new customers. So, if you're thinking of changing servers, you should have a look at Emby and Plex, since both seem to have gone full in on DVR stuff in recent years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know Plex has tuner and DVR services but I’ve never used them so I can’t comment on the experience.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified, I'm not really concerned about DVR services, only the basic tuner and EPG. I only receive OTA channels and hardly ever feel the need to record any of it. 99% of my TV viewing in the main room is sports.

I'm also not interested in dumping Kodi outright because it integrates extremely well with the Yatse remote app which gives me an amazing level of control, complete with bi-directional communication between my Android tab [that I use as a universal remote for the room] and the HTPC.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m completely confused. You don’t care about DVR but want info on DVR software. You use Kodi for your DVR, and want a replacement for it, but don’t want to replace Kodi?

I guess because I don’t use Kodi or a personal PVR, I don’t understand the lingo. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t know if there’s a difference between pvr and dvr and isn’t kodi used by many as a way to watch streaming and is a cord cutting option?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Kodi in particular I think gets used for the sleazy pirated free-media services and devices. Don't know the history why. But, well, software doesn't pirate software, people pirate software.

Kodi is (I believe) another offshoot of XMBC, like Plex and Emby, and is fundamentally a server / client for hobbyist HTPC and DVR system. I looked at it when I built my media server. Four years ago, it didn't fit my personal tastes and needs. But it's got fans and does various things better than the other options.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’m completely confused. You don’t care about DVR but want info on DVR software. You use Kodi for your DVR, and want a replacement for it, but don’t want to replace Kodi?

Kodi uses the term "PVR [Personal Video Recorder] Client" to describe the entire TV backend which includes DVR, Live TV and EPG functions. I am only interested in the latter two.

Also, KODI operates as a bare bones Media Center, depending on Add-Ons for all but the most basic functionality. There are many different PVR Add-Ons available and they all have their pros and cons. I am currently using the one provided by Media Portal but it seems to be having issues lately, taking minutes instead of the usual seconds to load the channel list. That's why I'm inquiring about alternatives.
Kodi in particular I think gets used for the sleazy pirated free-media services and devices. Don't know the history why. But, well, software doesn't pirate software, people pirate software.

Probably because it's free, available for all major OS's and fairly compact but plenty of people use Kodi for completely legitimate purposes too.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
John, you should look into building your own with a Raspberry Pi. You can modify the layout, change the skins and customize what is shown. I used a WD Live Media player for a while and then tried an Amazon Firestick - which turned out to be a bad joke. The Firestick sucked ass as a media player. Finally I built a Kodi media server with a Raspberry Pi and it has been great.

Brian

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John, you should look into building your own with a Raspberry Pi. You can modify the layout, change the skins and customize what is shown. I used a WD Live Media player for a while and then tried an Amazon Firestick - which turned out to be a bad joke. The Firestick sucked ass as a media player. Finally I built a Kodi media server with a Raspberry Pi and it has been great.

Brian
Thanks for the reply. Not sure I'm following. I already have a complete HTPC running Kodi, I'm just not happy with the Media Portal TV backend.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Guess I'm as confused as Dave on what you are trying to accomplish. I was thinking you were looking for a different Kodi player.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Guess I'm as confused as Dave on what you are trying to accomplish. I was thinking you were looking for a different Kodi player.
Sorry. I should have been more clear in the original post. Those who use Kodi for Live TV would automatically understand but I shouldn't have assumed everyone does.

The barebones Kodi install is not able to handle Live TV without the help of a backend TV Server. Kodi refers to such clients as PVR Add-Ons and there are many available from various providers.

Media Portal is a complete standalone Media Center but, unlike Kodi, it includes it's own TV Server. For those who do not want to use Media Portal as their overall Media Center, the TV Server piece is also available as a standalone PVR Server which can be used in other Media Centers such as Kodi.

I've been using it this way for years but lately it seems to be having some performance issues so my original post was meant to query the HTF community for possible replacements to only the Media Portal TV Server Add On, not Kodi itself.

rossjm

Auditioning
Real Name
Ross
Sorry. I should have been more clear in the original post. Those who use Kodi for Live TV would automatically understand but I shouldn't have assumed everyone does.

The barebones Kodi install is not able to handle Live TV without the help of a backend TV Server. Kodi refers to such clients as PVR Add-Ons and there are many available from various providers.

Media Portal is a complete standalone Media Center but, unlike Kodi, it includes it's own TV Server. For those who do not want to use Media Portal as their overall Media Center, the TV Server piece is also available as a standalone PVR Server which can be used in other Media Centers such as Kodi.

I've been using it this way for years but lately it seems to be having some performance issues so my original post was meant to query the HTF community for possible replacements to only the Media Portal TV Server Add On, not Kodi itself.
When you Google "best pvr kodi backend" this post and its replies is listed at number 3 over the last 12 months. Sadly, the responses to the OP are unhelpful, off-topic and missrepresent what Kodi is (and isn't). XBMC is the forerunner of Kodi. Plex and Emby are entirely separate products - and have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The question was, if you're running Kodi already - what PVR backend do people think is solid?

So in case anyone else has a similar question, I've previously used (the now dead) DVBLink, Next PVR and the excellent but now obsolete WMC Client.

I'm just setting up a new HTPC and was wondering what people are using more recently. I think I'll give Next PVR a go myself.

And remember kids, responses like "I don't use Kodi but" and "I don't use PVR but" are wasting everyone's bandwidth.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've managed to get the Media Portal client working again. It seems solid as of Kodi build 19.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks