What's new

Best ht receiver for $1000-$1200? (1 Viewer)

Because I have just purchased the yamaha lpx-500 projector I have been leaning towards the yamaha rx-v3300 receiver. It seems to have a lot of bang for the buck (I want as much versatility as possible with inputs, outputs etc). Just about everyone reading this has more experience than I, so I look forward to your recommendations.

I will be purchasing either the axiom epic 80 system or the top of the line rocket ht system speakers to go with this my budget for speakers is approx. $2000. Right now I will use this primarily for movies so I like the dipole type rears. If anyone has any recommendations with the speakers that would be great as well. Thanks, Marty.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Listed below are the inputs and outputs for the NAD T762 Receiver. It seems fairly versatile... And it lists for 1299.00, and streets for around $1100.00-$1200.00.

NAD receivers will drive just about any speaker load, and have a pretty high 'bang for the buck' quotient. And, they sound great too!

6 A/V Inputs all S-Video and Composite, 2 full tape loops
Component Video on 3 Inputs and 1 Output
3 Audio Inputs, 1 tape loop
6 Digital Inputs, 4 Coaxial, 2 TOS Link freely assignable
2 Digital Outputs, 1 Coaxial, 1 TOS Link
7.1 Analogue Input (for DVD- Audio)

gregD

Second Unit
Research and audition these:

Rotel RSX-1055

Denon AVR-3803

Marantz SR7300, SR7300ose, SR8200

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
I have an RX-V3300 and am very happy with it. It has a very clean unstressed sound all the way to deafening volume levels on my Mirage OM-10's. It just has crazy loads of power and plenty of inputs for sound and video. It has an excellent build quality and on and on. But I'm sure there are people on this board that can give glowing reviews of all these receivers in this price range.

That's because they really are all good receivers. Overall, you probably wouldn't be disappointed with any one taken by itself.

Once you start hitting this price range for a receiver, features and perceived quality of build across different brands become very similar. One may have more coaxial inputs and another more opticals or other little discrepancies, but overall, they come out pretty much the same. The single exception to this may be the Denon 3803 which does have a ton of tweakability. I was really torn over it and the V3300 because of all the 3803 had to offer like upconversion to component video, but in the end, (for my ears) the V3300 just blew the 3803 away in sound presentation and that's more important to me than any other "features". In this price range and on up into the world of flagship receivers and separates, it becomes more of a matching game as to which receiver has a sound you like or sounds good with your speakers than anything else.

So I would suggest you go and look at all these receivers, the Yammy, the Denon, the Marantz, etc and see what they sound like. Even better would be to see what they sound like with whatever speakers you decide on. This can be hard though depending on what dealers are in your area. And really, I would decide on speakers first as the speakers will have a much more profound contribution to characteristics of the sound in you system than the receiver.

The sound of the receiver will only enhance or degrade that sound slightly. It won't make crappy speakers sound good, and within reason, can't make good speakers sound terrible. (Yeah, I know, someone will bring up how terrible it would be to hook up a $200 receiver and a $10k pair of speakers but you know what I'm getting at!) But having a receiver that really compliments your particular speakers can be the difference between "wow, that sounds really good" and just having your jaw drop open in silent awe.

Thanks for your help everyone. I could get the yammy z1 for $1900 which is about $700 to $800 more. Do you think it would be worth it?

I am wondering if I would need the xtra component input. I plan on having hdtv satelite, hdtv digital cable, dvd of course amd tivo all hooked to a projector. In order to have the best quality I wonder if it would be best to get the z1 for a couple reasons.

I will be able to use a dvi connections from the satelite to the projector. Thanks, Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks