What's new

Bose Speakers with Sony receiver/DVD player Please help (1 Viewer)

Dani Anton

Auditioning
Hi guys,
I'm new at HTF, and I heard great things about it.
I am on the market for a HT system and I had my eyes on the following units:
Sony STR-DE985 and SONY DVP-NS755.
I am looking in getting a set of speakers that would work with this units, but I need them to be small. My budget on the system is about 2K
Somebody recommended me that I should go with Bose accoustimas 15, or 16 style. In the same time I heard people complaining about Bose.
Is there anything that I could use instead of Bose (but within the same price range)?
To be honest I am not crazy myself about Bose but I do like the size.
Any suggestions with be deeply appreciated.
Thanks.
Dani
Addition to my previous thread...
Refering to the speakers I am looking to buy, I also need to combine the use of the speakers from watching movies (using, dolby sorround system) and also listening to CD/radio). Again, highest fidelity is not my main concern, but I would like to keep the speakers to a minimal size (if possible).
My price raqnge is about $1000-1200 just for the speakers (including SUB).
I tried listening to other sets in stores like Circuit City, or Best Buy, but they don't have a vast selection of sets (or maybe I don't know what to look for).
Checking out online for speakers, didn't do much good for me because I am not good with the specs.
That said, I am looking for help and advices.

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
anything would be better than bose!!!! take some time and do some listening to any of the other offerings at your local stereo shops...let your ears decide!!!!!!!

personally, i like the bookshelf options from klipsch

Russ

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Whoever recommended the accoustimass systems is not a friend... or maybe they are, but not well versed in HT. If size is a large concern, you may want to look at the JBL NSP1 package. For around $250 online you can get 4 JBL N24 speakers and a N Center. The N24s are about twice the size of one of the accoustimass dual cube speakers, cost about 4 times less, and sound about 10 times better. Add a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer for around $150, and you have a 5.1 setup that will easily blow the accoustimass setups out of the water.

That said, for something more in line with your budget, you might want to consider the Energy Take 5.2 system (except for the subwoofer). It can be found for as low as $475 online. Add the sony sub i mentioned earlier, and you have a very solid, yet still compact system for around $625.

If you want to get the most out of the budget you've mentioned, Paradigm has a package consisting of 2 Titan mains, 2 ADP-170 surrounds, a CC-170 center, and a PDR-12 sub for around $1200. This would by far be the best sounding setup that i've mentioned, but would also be larger than the bose, jbl, or energy speakers i mentioned. The Titan mains are 13"x7.75"x10.75" (HxWxD). This is by no means large, but is noticeably larger than the bose dual cube speakers. If this would fit your space constraints, i think you would be VERY happy with this setup.

Also, while sony's ES line of receivers are very good, their non ES stuff is trash. The build quality is very low. They have a very bad reputation this board, and i would stay away from them. I would recommend you look at the Denon 3803, 3802, Pioneer Elite 43TX, and the 45TX.

You could get the Denon 3802 or either of the Pioneer Elite receivers i've mentioned, along with the Paradigm speaker package i mentioned, for around $2000. This would simple put the bose/sony system you had mentioned to shame. If space wouldn't permit the Paradigm setup, i would give strong consideration to the Energy 5.2 or JBL NSP-1 packages.

Just as i finished typing, I remembered that you need a dvd player as well. Look at the Panasonic RP62, RP82, and CP72. All three can be had for under $200 online, and are some of the best around in the price range.

Hope this helps.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I second Stephen suggestions. I have owned the Bose system, and I now own a similar Paradigm system. the difference is not night and day, it is black hole and surface of the sun. (OK, so I am exaggerating a bit, but you get my point)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I second the NSP-1 recommendation. If you REALLY want cube speakers, you'd probably be better off with Creative/Cambridge's 5.1 computer sound system. You can get it for about $100 and it probably sounds better than the Bose.

If your budget is a bit higher, I'd go with the S series JBLs. I got them (with a nice discount) and I'm pretty happy with them.

Ryan Solberg

Auditioning
"I second the NSP-1 recommendation. If you REALLY want cube speakers, you'd probably be better off with Creative/Cambridge's 5.1 computer sound system. You can get it for about $100 and it probably sounds better than the Bose."

my roommate has that setup on his computer... haven't compared it side to side with a good setup, only my 5yr old altec lansing 2.1's. Anyway, they sound decent enuf, i mean, how much can you expect for $100? my main problem with it is that it uses a Bandpass sub and i they tune it so it dies out at around 50hz. Sure it can get loud for how small it is and the wattage it uses, but it has no low end extension. Some people notice it, while most don't.... i myself notice it, especially in songs that i'm familiar with.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also check out the Acoustic Research HC-6 package. It's much better than the Bose Acoustimass system you are considering at half the price. A co-worker has this system matched with a Sony DE-line receiver, and the sound quality is quite good for the money spent.

The JBL NSP-1 package, with a separate subwoofer, is also a fine choice. I own four JBL N-24's for a music-only application, and am amazed at the sound quality for the $200 spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks