What's new

Best first person shooter on PS2? (1 Viewer)

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Im after a fps for the ps2, what do you recommend? I was looking at half life but I dont know of any others.
I live in australia - we dont have an online gaming network so that isnt an important factor to me.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Half Life is good, Red Faction is good, and there are some good ones coming out very soon (Red Faction 2, Time Splitters 2, James Bond in Nightfire). I'd say go for Red Faction as it can be had new for as little as 14.99 and at that price it is a steal.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Time Splitters 2 is coming out Oct 7 or 8, and its gonna be great. I was a big fan of the original. Theres lot of replayability with the challenges and everything to unlock (120 Characters!). And the multiplayer mode has been vastly improved.
JQ

Frederick

Second Unit
I say for a start pick up Red Faction. It's a great game, and it's a steal right now (>$20).

Freddy C.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Half-Life is great, plus it's got some added modes.

TimeSplitters 1 had a GREAT multiplayer mode (even make your own maps) but the single player mode was lacking, albeit good enough.

Red Faction is also really good. Multiplayer is OK if not good and the game itself is great.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I know SOCOM isn't a FPS per se, but it is a fantastic game, worthy of checking out -- even for it's Single Player game (not to mention the AWESOME fun you'd have online!)

You can view things in a quasi-1st person perspective (you don't see your gun on screen, just your targeting reticle).

Jay_Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
Deus Ex. I much prefer the PC version, but I still love the story and the varied gameplay with RPG elements.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Half Life - good game, good story, um, sorta gross if you know what I mean; big nasty mutants that spray green/yellow blood all over the place, plus bits of "meat" all over the floor when you kill something/someone. Nasty. I found the sounds (the noises the health dispensers made for instance) to be a little repetetive and annoying. I also think the dual shock effects while shooting to be a little "spongy" for lack of a better word. These are minor quibbles. Maybe it's just me, but this is easily the most challenging of the three; it took me forever to finish it.
Red Faction - not quite as compelling a story as Half-Life (not bad though), but IMO a nicer playing game, most notably the nice, direct feel of the shock effects, very direct like actual kickback. I don't think it's quite as long a game as Half-Life, and maybe not quite as challenging. Graphics also slightly below Half-Life standards although I personally like the sound better (at least the sound effects).
Medal of Honor: Frontline is fantanstic from a thematic perspective. If you like the WWII theme, it's really terrific. Most annoying is the lack of a quick save feature, meaning you can play for 15 or 20 minutes, then die and have to go to the very beginning of the mission. Can be frustrating. However, with such a feature, this game might seem really, really short. My personal favourite of the three, but mostly because of the theme. No 2 player modes unlike the others.
I like them all. Red Faction is really a no-brainer for the price though.

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions, is it possible to customize the controls in these games? I rented timesplitters today, couldn't get used to the default controls but once i customized them It was heaps better.
I think medal of honour sounds like the one for me.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
None of the FPS on the PS2 are really all that hot. You'd probably be best off just getting whichever ones interest you for the PC since they'll usually be cheaper. Anyways:

Red Faction is about a 6.5 out of 10. It's decent, but note that it only takes about 5 hours to beat.

I couldn't really get into Half Life on the PS2. It's a good game, but keep in mind that you'll be giving up 99% of its replay value since the PS2 version has no mods. I also found the graphics to be shoddy.

Medal of Honor was a major dissapointment. I'd suggest renting it, playing the first level, and returning it, because nothing else in the game is even close to the standard it sets at the start. Unbelievably, they somehow managed to mess up the dual analog control system, the aiming feels completely wrong. Moh reminded me of another mediocre FPS: 007 AUF, only with soldiers instead of spies.

Dues Ex is sort of a unique situation. It's a 10/10 on the PC, and a 9/10 on the PS2. They did botch the port pretty badly, but I still enjoyed playing through it, and that's AFTER playing the PC version.

Max Payne on the Xbox is good. I haven't played the PS2 version so I can't vouch for it though. Halo for the Xbox is excellent.

If you're dead set on getting a FPS for the PS2 only, I'd suggest going with Half Life and Deus Ex. The EA games(MoH and AUF) are good for a rent but there isn't any reason to own them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
but keep in mind that you'll be giving up 99% of its replay value since the PS2 version has no mods
Actually, if you have (I think) issue 59 of OPM and the demo disc that came with it, you can access a mod for the PS2 Half-Life. There's a way to get it on GameFAQs.com

There's also rumors that there were 2 mods made that were going to be put in the game as two extra modes, one of them being the Uplink Mod (the one on the OPM disc).

Patrick_L

Second Unit
well i bought into the SOCOM and Network adapter when it came out hoping something could tear me away from the PC when it comes to FPS. well, i'm back to pc FPS because of the variety of mods, maps, etc. (i play Q3/ThreeWave/UrbanTerror, CounterStrike, etc..). now my Net adapter and SOCOM are collecting dust...

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up the Timesplitters 2 demo, awesome game. Cant wait fo the full version. I spent the first half hour getting shot in the head by the sniper on top of the dam, couldn't work out where the bugger was.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
Harry, i've got the demo also and it's a pretty good game. i don't think it's a Goldeneye beater, but it sure tries!! the alarms are EXACTLY like Goldeneye as is the "feel" of the demo. all in all i'm sure it will be a REALLY good fps but the cancellation of online multiplayer is the reason this will be a rental and not a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks