What's new

Best DVD to Impress A Sceptic (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The best way to impress a critic is to do an a-b comparison with something that they are familliar with. Scarface DVD is notorious for having a sub par picture but it is so much better than the well worn VHS tape that I had it made for great demo material.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I demo my system quite a bit and always start with the DTS Demo #3, then #4. Then after they get their jaws back in place, I put in Roy Orbison/ Black and White to show the music side of HT.

Most persons I demo for ask "what movie is that" when the "Daylight" clip shows from Demo #3.

JohnnyD

Auditioning
My $.02 worth:

1.Das Boot

2.U-571 in DTS (especially the depth charge scenes)

3.Star Wars-TPM (pod race)

JohnnyD

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Video: Gladiator, Peter Frampton Live in Detroit, Shrek

Audio: U-571 (depth charge scene), Dream Theater Metropolis 2000

bill lopez

Second Unit
Show them MOULIN ROUGE and be sure to mention it was HTM's DVD OF THE YEAR. And then show them PHANTOM MENACE.:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
If it's the Pro-Logic thing, you might try Eagles - Hell Freezes Over. It's DTS.
I'd go straight to the Seven Bridges Road song only (not part of the concert). There will be no mistaking the difference between Pro-Logic and DTS/DD then.
If you need more proof, pull out the CD and play the same song in Pro-Logic, or even just stereo.
As for films, Saving Private Ryan DTS is a sure start. Of course the best way to go is to get a demo DVD. Like one from DTS. Or if you can't find that you should be able to find the FOX demo DVD at Best Buy. It's DD only but still...and you pay $5 at get at least $6 worth of DVD coupons ($3 off and 20% off) so it's like they are paying you to take it home. :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Seth - I don't think "Seven Bridges Road" appears in two channel form on any of the versions of "Hell Freezes Over" - video or audio. It is not on the standard CD. It is a bonus track on the DTS CD, and it is a DTS-only audio bonus track on the DVD.

Regards,

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ken, my intent there was to pull out Greatest Hits 2 or the album Eagles: Live.
But I can see how it wasn't clear from what I said. I just assume that Eagles Hits 2 is such a popular album that it would be available for a 2 channel to DTS 5.1 remix comparison of the same song.
While some people don't like the "purity" of the music ruined, I think it is simply an alternate version (better or worse is opinion there). But the DTS version clearly shows off what can be done with 5.1, even more so than the HFO concert does (vs Pro-Logic). Since that mix (7 Bridges) is highly directional it's more "showy" to someone who already thinks Pro-Logic gives plenty of ambience background.
I mean I don't think PL ambience comes close to well done 5.1s, but I could see someone else saying "big deal". You need something undisputable. :)

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
For an all round excellant demo I would have to go with SW EP.1

Some runner ups would be:

T2

X-files Fight the Future, in particular the sounds in the opening cave sequence

Star Trek TOS is great for showing off old tv shows and how dvd can revitalize them.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
for video: Dinosaur (best looking dvd out there)

for audio: tough to beat Saving Private Ryan. I can't belive no one mentioned The Matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks