What's new

Best DVD Player Without lots of useless functionality? (1 Viewer)

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I curently used my PS2 as a DVD player and since it is a first gen PS2, it stating to act funky. So it is time to buy a real DVD player

let say budget limit is 400$.

I need :
-Component output
-Progressive Scan
-optical or coax digital output
-Fiability, compatibility, durability

I don't need :
-MP3 support
-Dozen of Sound DSP(I will use a digital output so)
-CD-R, DVD-R support
-friendly user functionality(for dummy!)

so, what is the best?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should have plenty of selection at that price. Most of the progressives have nearly every feature, so you are kind of stuck with them, but nobody says you have to use them.

Do you have an HD capable TV? If not, and you don't plan to upgrade it in the near future, you probably don't need progressive either. My personal choices would be Sony NS-715 or NS-755 (SACD) and Panasonic RP-82.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would look at the Panasonic RP62. It is the same as the highly touted (on this forum and others) RP82, without MP3 capability. It has the sage/faroujda chip which is supposed to be the best in progressive scan. A quick search of yahoo shopping found the RP62 for as low as $150. I don't think you're going to get much better than this without moving up to a pioneer elite or denon player in the $1000 range. You may not even get better by doing that.

I have the Panasonic RP56, which is a great progressive scan player. It has the same features at the RP82, but doesn't have the sage/faroujda chip. I had no clue what this was at the time. If i had known, i probably would have went with the RP62 instead.

Hope this helps.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I actually believe the Panasonic RP62 does have MP3 capability. The main difference for the price is the RP82 is DVD-Audio capable.

And like the others have said, it's kinda hard to not get the stuff you don't need. The companies try to make players that have something that appeals to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks