What's new

Best DVD Player under $400 (1 Viewer)

Floyd

Agent
My Sony player is skipping badly and I am going to buy a new Progressive Scan player but need to stay in the $400 or below range. What is the best one for the money with good features?

Thanks

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Your best best is a top-rated model with the Faroudja de-interlacer. You can get a Denon DVD-910 for $299 and the DVD-1200 for $399, also the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $249. These are the cheapest Faroudja-based models.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Concur with Don on the Faroudja which the Samsung DVD-HD931 also has. Reviews are split but the player has come down in price quite a bit. If you have DVI capabilities this may be a good choice Otherwise, I would opt for the Denon DVD-910. You can find this player as low as $249.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Beware the Samsung HD931 has a Faroudja scaler only on its DVI port, not component output. So the other Faroudja-based players are the ones to go for if you use component video output.

Floyd

Agent
Thnaks everyone. I went out today to shop for my new DVD player and took along the list from here. the only one I found was the Pioneer 563 so I bought it. Sofar so good. I am not blown away by the picture but it looks pretty good. The multi format audio is excellent.

Did I do wrong?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes you did wrong. That Pioneer doesn't have a good de-interlacer. I would recommend a Denon DVD-910 or DVD-1600 instead.

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
You did exactly right. You purchased a DVD player that will play just about every format and at a price that blows the others away. If I were you, I would smile when I listened to the high resolution audio formats.

There will always be those that say their unit is better and show you the specs to prove it. In most cases the differences are negligable to the average viewer. It's true that a $1,000.00 player will be better but for most people the difference in performance does not equal the difference in price.

Enjoy the Pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks