What's new

Best DVD player under $1000 (1 Viewer)

puiwah

Auditioning
I am looking for a high end DVD player for < $1000 street.
My environment:
I am purchasing a Z10000 projector and later on plan to complement this with a Beo System 1 home theater system. I assume progressive scan is a must for this setup.

I don't really need any of the following features - core A/V quality is by far the most important factor for me - but here they are in order of decreasing desirability:
1) DVD recording or tivo-type functionality
2) SACD or any other form of enhanced audio
3) Multidisk player

Lastly I'm somewhat unsure as to whether to make DVI out a requirement, or whether component video is sufficient. I have already invested in a big component cable that is installed inside my walls but I will change this if I need to.

Here is my short list so far:
Pioneer DVR-7000
Pioneer DV-47ai
Denon 2900
Sony DVP-NS999ES
Yamaha DVD-S2300
Panasonic 47ai
Panasonic DMRE100HS
I have read some of the threads here but really have no way of choosing which one of these product is right for me, or if there's something else out there that is more suitable.

What am I missing from this list? What do you all suggest I look at? What questions would you ask me to narrow down my options further?
Thanks for any help!
Patrick

chris_clem

Second Unit
I was just about to post something just like this so I searched the threads and found this. No replies though so can anyone help out please? What is the best dvd player for under $1000? Are there newer models now not mentioned in the list above?

If I am just concerned about the best possible video and audio quality for DVD's regardless of features such as SACD or DVD-A playback what should I get?

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the smae boat but for somethng around $300 :).
Now if I had $1000 I would build my HTPC. But I don't:frowning:.
I suggest you guys look into that.

Laszlo

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
If you are just concerned about dvd video and audio performance, then you just need to get a dvd player with dvi out (the samsung one with dvi out is a good canditate). AFAIK all dvd players sound identical, when sending audio signal via a digital cable to a receiver. The same also applies to video output via dvi.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
It is obvious that Picture Quality is the most important to you so I would suggest you look for a player with a top quality Faroudja chip. Even they have a player with a builtin scaler.

I don't know if you use a PC as part of your Home Theatre but if you do I would recommend a HOLO3D PCI scaling card from Immersive and an sdi modded dvd player from them as well. If you in the US, I wouldcheckout Digital Connection.

They will set you up with everything for an awsome picture.

Peter m.

Tim Knapp

Agent
I recommend a quality dvd player. I tried htpc to get better video quality and it wasn't any better then my projectors liner doubler being fed by a non progressive dvd player. I'm considering trying a progressive scan dvd player to see if its better then (or with) my projectors line doubler.

Tim

chris_clem

Second Unit
Konrad,

Hmmm...I am not very familiar with the DVI connection you mentioned although I think the PannyFP (300U/E) does accomodate that. Can you post any links comparing the DVI to component cables?

Lazlo, Peter and Tim,

I don't think I'm willing to make arrangements for an HTPC as the very thought of having a volatile medium like a computer as part of my HT scares the hell out of me! I'm looking for something more conventional and requiring less effort... Both of you mention getting a quality player, any specific endorsements? :)

Puiwah,

It is unfortunate that no one replied to your original post but if you are stil reading this I would be very much interested to know what you ended up getting and how you like it thus far. :)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Here is a good read about the benefits of dvi:
http://www.widescreenreview.com/attractions/eqrev2.html

its a review of the bravo d1 player , one of the two players out there atm that have dvi output. Basicly if you have a dvi dvd player hooked up to a compatible screen via dvi connection , you get the best possible picture. Only the best analogue dvd players will be able to come close.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Peter and Aaron,

I just asked this elsewhere but no replies yet so I'll ask here too. What is the Faroudja chip and why is it important/better for a player to have that? What brands/units utilize this chip?

Konrad,

The DVI interface is interesting to say the least however it seems like choices become very narrow if I try loking for that feature (Like you said 2 units!!). I have two problems with the Bravo you mentioned: a)There's a guy at secrets (don, I think) that says it's not as good a player as everyone thinks it is and b) more importantly, I don't think it's available in my area! Will DVI be a standard in the near future? Perhaps if new units are about to come out in a month or two I can hold off buying a new dvd player.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks