What's new

Best antenna for HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Tod

Agent
Hello,
I am looking for a good antenna to use with my Samsung SIR-T150 OTA HDTV recevier. I have been considering the Terk models, T50, T55, & T65.
The T50 ($129) is the largest: 76" wide
The T60 ($399) is mid-size: "48.5"
The T55 ($99) is the smallest: 46" wide
The T60 is a LOT more expensive and is described as being an "outdorr" antenna... I plan to put my antenna in my attic.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these (or other antennas for HDTV)?
Thanks,
Tod.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. Any UHF one will do, but it does depend on if you have a clear shot of Sutro Tower. You might try the nearest Radio Shack and ask. They have a double-bow tie that is supposed to be just great, and its like $16.
Glenn

Jim Burns

Auditioning
There is such a thing as a HDTV antenna. Some of the broadcast frequencies are the same for analog and DTV (UHF) there are many differences in the modulation scheme. I have developed 5 DTV antennas specifically for use with 8,4 and 2 VSB modulation on UHF and one VHF model. While there are similarities to analog TV these antennas were designed to take advantage of the strengths and compensate for the weakness and shortcomings of DTV 8 VSB modulation. The designs were sold to Gemini and will be shipping shortly.
The Terk antennas mentioned will not work well for HDTV, you are better off buying a RS special if you can not wait a month for an antenna from Gemini.
------------------
Jim Burns
http://www.dtvconsultants.com/ www.imagingscience.com
[Edited last by Jim Burns on September 24, 2001 at 08:25 AM]

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious as to what HD OTA antennas people in the Michigan area are using. Any suggestions? Terk's are no good??

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I thought for sure that Jim would have replied, but I don't want to leave anybody hanging.
I asked about an HD antenna awhile back. In lieu of the search function, go back 45 days and look up CBS-HD, started by Brian Neibur on August 17th.
A good place to start is www.titantv.com. They seem to have the whole country set up. I was supposed to get an Antennacraft roof mount, but got that double bow tie instead, and I get everything that I want, so try it out.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks