What's new

Best Amp for for $3500 (1 Viewer)

cutlera

Auditioning
Got that to spend. Need 5 channels (will upgrade to 7.1 later). Either a single amp or 3+2 would work,..................will power Def Tech speakers........Thanks.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, i attempted to answer your question. hopefully somebody else will chime in.

kevin t

John A. Casler

Second Unit
1) CineNova 5 channel (available street for that)
2) CinePro (Just great amp)
3) ATI 2505

In that order of preference.

John

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I think the classe cav 180 is around that price retail, maybe you can do a little better. Its a very nice amp worth listening to!

Good luck, Bob

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
How about a used McIntosh 7205 for $2995 on Audiogon.

Or with the Def Techs Krell might be good option, something like the Kav-500

Used Bryston 9B-St would also be good option.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
If you are going for 7.1 later, I think you should get a 5-ch amp, then add a 2-ch amp later on. Good luck!!

Yogi

Screenwriter
1) Used Proceed AMP5.
2) Used Krell KAV 500.
3) Classe KAV ???.
4) Bryston 9B-ST.

In that order.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Yup how did I forget Theta digital. The Intrepid is right around that $$$ range. I would place it just below the Krell in my listening preferences. It just sounds a little digital (no pun intended) i.e., forward for my tastes.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Cinepro 3K6SE-Gold if you can get it used for that price. Its comparable to the Theta Dreadnaught and BAT VK-6200, 2 of the highest end multi-channel amps, according to Secrets

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have to agree with John the Cinenova Grande is an outstanding amp.I had had a 2205a Parasound in my system for 2 years and HT rag reveiwed it as just about the best HT amp around. I listened to the Proceed amp5 and 3 plus the Cinepro and a few others. For the money the Cinenova was equal to these amps for less monies. This amp brings out details in Music and DVD's that the 2205a didn't and at much lower volume levels. I can play at reference levels and it just sounds clean not excruciatingly loud. The big thing is that it bought my surrounds to life. I have a 7.1 system with Von Schweikerts all around and had never thought it could sound this awesome!:D This amp will be in my system a very long time. Look at the specs on power and S/N ratio. As you can tell I am sold on the Cinenova Grande.
Cheers,
Steve

Alex F.

Second Unit
I am not sure how much power you require, but for their musicality, reliability, and build quality, I would suggest auditioning the Classe CAV-75 and CAV-180, the Conrad-Johnson MF-5600, Pass X-5, Bryston 9B-ST, and McIntosh MC-126. Expect high-end two-channel amplifier performance in a multichannel package.

The Classe CAV-180 is somewhat above your price range but may be discounted if you ask. Audiolab.com discounts and mailorders Classe if you do not have a local dealer.

The Pass lists for $4500, but may also be available for less if you ask. Audio-Video Logic--audiovideologic.com--discounts and mailorders Pass if you lack a local dealer.

The McIntosh, $3000, has six channels.

If you prefer balanced inputs, the Pass and Bryston have them. I'm pretty sure the Classe CAV-180 does, too. The C-J and Mac are single-ended only.

Happy listening!

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Try the Anthem MCA series. You might find them sounding close to the Bryston's at half the price.

cutlera

Auditioning
McIntosh and Theta Digital are considerations that have come up. Also, the Cine Nova (read nothing but good things about them) - Steve, what do you have paired with the Grande 5 for your 7.1?

Another option could be the Odyssey Stratos 3+2 combo, with an additional stereo 2 later for 7.1. Anyone know how these stack up? I've read some great things, but unfortunately their factory direct only.....

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm not a big Def Tech fan, but the Classe' CAV-180 is the best multichannel amp I've heard in that pricerange, and it mates well with most speakers.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
From what I've read, the Odyssey Stratos amps are a really great value. The Absolute Sound compared the stereo version with the Rotel RB-1090 stereo amp and concluded that they offered similar performance, and the 1090 is another sweet little amp, but with considerably more power(380Wpc@8ohms)

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
I modestly urge you start your auditions a $1000.00 less than your budget and give ear to the Sherbourn 5/1500. It made a larger investment pointless for me. The only return for another 1 or even 2 grand would have been logo snobery.(which has it's merits!) In the case of a couple of the amps mentioned above, another 2k would have given me pride of ownership of a inferior component. It may work out the same way for you. The Def Tech's are not particularly demanding and the amp is uncommonly capable. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks