What's new

Need help w/ what to buy. Tower speakers+receiver +? (1 Viewer)

deadcrowsflywest

Auditioning
Real Name
john
I live in a barn and have a HUGE room w/ 30ft vaulted ceilings measuring 15x30

I went to best buy just to look at TV's for this huge room and came up w/ the 58' panasonic which is the highest rated and can be had for around 3500 online as opposed to 5k at bb. That's the ez decision to buy...

Now ther hard one,..after hearing the el ceapo speakers to best buy's better ones I really need to buy a complete speaker system for my TV..I also will need a ..receiver,...dvd player..etc. etc...

money is alway a driving issue and I'm house poor but I want the most for the least

I went to cnet and they gave a 9.0 rating to the aperion Intimus 522D-PT Powered Tower Speaker Pair for 1200. The also have the system w/ other speakers for 1900 which got a 8.7.

They say these speakers rival speakers costing 2-3 times as much and that seems good enough for me even w/.o hearing them..

I don't know how I will be able to get a surround sound though being that the room is large and will have wiring issues....so will the tower speakers be enough? Will I need to beef anything up for an optimum classical music sound as well?..amp...etc,...I really want clarity

Being that I will need a receiver and an HD dvd player.....where should I skimp at price wise?

I did a search on consumers and they rated a SONY tower speakers MF750H pair right next to a bose 1400.oo speaker...The Sony can be had for 200-300

Any Thoughts?

also....I think V- Speakers are out of my price range,,but is it worth getting their low end stuff?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi John

For the best clarity I can recommend Ascend Acoustics...or for some very very beautiful and almost as excellent speaker I can recommend AV123...the X-Series produce very very fine sound and are less expensive than Ascend...I can configure several packages either with bookshelf or rather small towers for the main L&R that should meet your needs...I can also recommend receivers and DVD players...it all depends on your budget and your preference for HDMI compatibility, interest in speaker room correction...and other factors...please keep in touch with me.

deadcrowsflywest

Auditioning
Real Name
john
thanx for the advice.

I don't know what my needs are..lol

I thought a tower speaker was my best option because of the size of my room? Isn't a bookshhelf speaker a poor wtg?

I don't care how large it it..or how crappy it looks...sure, fine wood and fine sound are nice..but I would take really fine sound and ugliness over it.

I would prefer one that has a built in sub woofer as well

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Although it can be greatly beneficial to get input from reading reviews, I personally think that it's far more important to listen to speakers in person before you buy them. Not everyone has the same tastes, and what sounds good to one person might not sound the greatest to the next guy.

There are a lot of speaker manufacturers out there to choose from, and if there are some stores in your area besides BB, I would advise checking them out to see what else your ears can find.

deadcrowsflywest

Auditioning
Real Name
john
I expect and want to see heavily weighted opinions in my thread as to what is the best for me. You guys are the experts.

I realize there are many different makers and options.

I want to hear every instrument in a classical piece w/o any static or fuzz and turn my vaulted ceiling/room into a concert hall w/o being in an actual concert hall..I want it LOUD as well

do you remember the old commercial..."is it live or is it memorex"

well..take me back when Mozart was jammin and put it in my living room as if I was with him

I just assume w/ good classical sound the theater thing will just fall into place....

Like i said...sound is everything to me...looks mean little....But if you have to have very good looks w/ very good sound sobeit

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi John

If you really want excellent clarity in a HUGE room like yours...you are probably going to need to spend several thousand dollars...I can recommend several Klipsch floorstanders that should be capable of filling your room...they may not have built-in subwoofers, however, you are better off buying a stand-alone subwoofer such as the HSU VTF-3MK3...please keep in touch with me.

PS I have a pair of HSU VTF-3HOs + Turbos and I can't begin to use their full output in a much smaller room.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
"I expect and want to see heavily weighted opinions in my thread as to what is the best for me. You guys are the experts. "

That's just the thing, what's best for us, may not be the best for you. The only way to really know for sure is to listen to as many different speakers as you can. Also, keep in mind that just because a speaker excels at listening to Mozart in two channel stereo, it doesn't mean that it's also going to excel in a home theater setup.

I personally love B&W speakers. The 600 series would probably be in your price range and they do really well with music and almost as good with movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks