New amp for Studio 100s....holy moly!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Levin, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Daniel Levin

Daniel Levin Extra

I recently replaced my Parasound HCA1500 (205wpc) with an HCA3500 (350wpc). I finally got around to hooking the new amp up. My Paradigm Studio 100s suddenly came alive. The mids and bass are much better defined; the transients are faster. The 3500 is pure class A for the first 15wpc. The sound is clean and refined. There is no discernable noise floor. I was unsure whether the upgrade would be noticeable...it is one of my best!

2. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

A friend of mine has HCA amps and swears by them. He's auditioned Parasound beside them, and notices quite a difference.

So much for the theory that the electronics don't have their own sound, eh? ;-)

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

4. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Daniel,
    Haven't you seen the charts that show db readings at 1 meter with 1 watt for your speakers? You shouldn't need more than 30 watts max to reach listening levels! [​IMG]
    By the way I'm running [email protected] to my main speakers.
    Enjoy the new power.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Shane,
    I know that...and I agree...it's a killer. I've yet to hear anything from Parasound I didn't like. I was wondering what Gregorius meant by his post.