What's new

Best Amp for for $3500 (1 Viewer)

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
If you can find one, the now discontinued McIntosh MC205 amp should be selling for about that price, new. The only amps I've heard that sound better to my ears are from Mark Levinson, and they sell for considerably more than $3500.

Marty

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Mark R O.
All those high-dollar amps from boutique manufacturers really contain about $500 worth of parts and the rest of the price supports their high-margin, low-volume business models. IMHO, what you should really be looking for is an amp that can drive your speakers at your preferred volumes without noticeable distortion or clipping. Don't be fooled by so-called "golden-ears" on this board or salesmen that tell you a $1000 amp sounds different than a $3500 one. ICs in modern solid-state amps are very good and industry jargon like "negative global feedback" is not really relevant anymore. Tube amps will give you a different sound though. Check out some new mid-priced amps like B&K, ATI, or Sherbourn in the $1000-$1500 range). If you really want to impress people, get a used Bryston - at least you'll get the the 20-year transferable warranty with it (unlike other manufacturers - IMO one of the few respectable high-end manufacturers that actually back up their products). It'll still save you a lot of money for more important things like software. Of course, if logo appeal is important then by all means purchase a new $3500 amp. ;)

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Well after auditioning several brands, including B&K, Adcom, Sony and Rotel, I ended up getting a Bryston 9B-ST. The company is just great, the warranty is top notch and the sound is just sweet. Highly recommended!

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps you'd give us something to go on other than the price. Such as, How much power into what load? Then there's things like, is a fan acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks