What's new

Bertolucci's "1900" on DVD (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just received my DVD of Bertolucci's "1900". It is a 2 disc set from MGM (the Paramount opening logo is still on the film itself) and is the complete and uncut 5+ hour version. It was just released in Germany. There are options for English language and also includes the Italian language track with removable English subtitles. It is in mono and is letterboxed 1.85:1 and is anamorphically enhanced. The print looks good but it not flawless.
Nevertheless, very cool and I can't wait to watch it.

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

We did an extensive analysis of that version here.

However, my local video store carries the 6 hour cut on VHS, which apparently ran on Italian TV. They note on the front that it's in Italian and includes English subs, but not how many times removed the dubbing would be. Is De Niro dubbed from English to Italian and back to English again?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I believe the actors all spoke their native languages...some speaking in English ( ie DeNiro, Lancaster, Hayden, Sutherland and also Dominique Sanda speaking very clear un dubbed English on the DVD ) while, for instance Depardieu is dubbed in English.

Manus

Second Unit
Anyone suggest a website selling this ? ( preferably with an english translation , if possible)

Thanks

M

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Xploited Cinema here in the U.S. offers it on their website.
Once again , one of the tracks is in English with most of the actors speaking the original English language.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
No special features....but at least its out on DVD. If it was released in the U.S. it would be an NC17 which is what it was rated when the uncut version finally played here a few years ago.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Got this German dvd and it looks like the master used
for the PBS Airing(Before it was cut)over 5 years ago

so its and improvement on that,Sure it could look better
but it till Paramount does a dvd ,this will do fine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks