Bertolucci's 1900 (and other fine films)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeF, Nov 5, 2001.

1. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

Any idea if we're ever going to see Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 on DVD? (And is it already available in other regions, by chance?)
    While on the subject of Bertolucci, is there any chance of seeing a decent transfer of The Last Emperor anytime soon?
    I realize these films are not as exciting as, say, the Phantom Menace or Swordfish, but I'm a little distressed that these masterpieces are not available on DVD.
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

They're showing the 5-hour-plus version of 1900 at the New Beverly Theater in Los Angeles this Wednesday and Thursday nights. If I can squeeze out the time this week, I'm going to try and go.

3. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think 1900's rights are royally mixed up...
    1/3 of the movie was financed by United Artists (That share is now owned by MGM)
    1/3 of the movie was financed by Paramount.
    1/3 of the movie was financed by 20th Century Fox.
    The U.S. home video is by Paramount as was the U.S. dubbed theatrical release. I assume that Fox or UA did international release stuff.

5. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I hope they get it straightened out. I'd love to have a DVD of the long cut. It isn't likely to be a big seller, so maybe Criterion could do it.
    [Edited last by Larry Schneider on November 06, 2001 at 09:08 AM]

6. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

1900 IS available in Canada. I've seen it at A&B, the occasional Future Shop and CNL. Sadly, it's another Alliance-Atlantis "Exclusive in Canada" subpar botch job.
    While it is widescreen and DD5.1, there's no extras and the picture quality isn't what it should be. And it's the short US theatrical cut of the film, not one of the reported longer international cuts that are apparently floating around out there (five hours?! Yikes!!)
    ------------------
    Mario
    Proprietor and chief nacho chip server of Cinemario

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'd love to finally see the longer cut of 1900. Unfortunately, I don't think any studio (other than Criterion) would be willing to release it AND do it right. That's too bad considering all the talent involved...
    [Edited last by SteveGon on November 06, 2001 at 09:19 AM]

8. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Apparently there is the possibility of a new version of The Last Emperor. If you read thedigitalbits Comic-Con DVD producers panel discussion Mark Rance seems to indicate a possible new release of The Last Emperor. Look in the archive section at the bottom of the main page than scroll down to the 9/5/01 update.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

quote: The Dir. Cut is available in Italy. You could try www.dvd.it
    but I don't know what this movie is called there?[/quote] In Italian it is called Novecento but dvd.it does not seem to have it.
    Ted
    [Edited last by Ted Todorov on November 06, 2001 at 09:57 AM]

10. Ugo Scarlata

Ugo Scarlata Stunt Coordinator

quote: 1900 IS available in Canada. I've seen it at A&B, the occasional Future Shop and CNL. Sadly, it's another Alliance-Atlantis "Exclusive in Canada" subpar botch job.[/quote] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Could you please provide a link to this Canadian disc? This is definitely news to me, as I'd love to own any version of the film.
    We ARE talking about Bertolucci's classic 1900 (Novecento), and not Tornatore's recent La Leggenda del Pianista sull'Oceano (The Legend of 1900), right?
    The Italian publisher CVC was supposed to release a 2-disc special edition of Bertolucci's 1900 a while ago (Region 2/PAL.) But AFAIK, it hasn't materialized yet.
    Cheers.
    ------------------
    [ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3
    [Edited last by Ugo Scarlata on November 06, 2001 at 10:42 AM]

11. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Since this has nothing to do with the Enterprise, Survivor, or ex-SNL alumni, dont expect PARAMOUNT to jump on this anytime soon....
    PIONEER Japan had a widescreen 3 disc LD box of the extended cut a few years back. PARAMOUNT had an LD box, also, but I think was P&S...
    [Edited last by Mark_TS on November 06, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

13. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

14. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

I think you are making reference to The Legend of 1900 starring Tim Roth -- an entirely different film. Confusingly enough, that film is directed by another famous foreign director -- Tornatore.
    Correct me if I'm wrong?
    ------------------

15. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

Oy vey. It looks like I will have to add 1900 to my short list of two -- Shoah and Schindler's List -- to retain a VCR.
    ------------------

16. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I believe at one point Martin Blythe mentioned this as a possibility. I think it was in the studio section under a topic about Bertolucci in general. Probably about six months or so ago.
    Never seen it, but would pre-order instantly.