What's new

Blu-ray Review Bell Book and Candle Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d add a new post. I recently picked up a used copy of Bell Book and Candle. Wasn’t excessively expensive, not cheap. It was a good clean copy. I felt compelled to find a copy and check this film out. The reasons are late last year, I picked up the complete series Bewitched Sony Box set. I had also picked up I Married a Witch at last year’s Criterion sale. So I held off watching I Married a Witch and Bell Book and Candle until I’d completed watching Bewitched.

I wanted to see the two films the series is inspired and based on, I chose to watch this film first. Plus I’m a Hitchcock fan and Vertigo is a great film in his filmography. I was interested to see a film both Stewart and Novak had done in the same year. Interestingly they both are so different in appearance between both films. Yet, it was interesting to see them as characters in love, so it could be confusing! It was interesting to see Novak play characters that both are hiding secrets from Stewart too.

I’d read the comments here after seeing the film. I’d have to agree, this is a quirky film, not a super great one, but it does have its charming moments and has a fun premise. This is my first time seeing this film and my first viewing isn’t always going to catch all the little bits of business going on. I did enjoy it though. It’s was a fun little romantic comedy. I’ll probably watch it again. It is a real contrast to Vertigo too!

In Bewitched, Uncle Arthur must be based on Jack Lemmon’s character. And Aunt Clara must be based on Elsa Lanchester’s character.

I’ll be catching I Married A Witch soon.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Bewitched creator Sol Saks had said that both I Married A Witch and Bell, Book and Candle lead to creation of Bewitched.

Bell, Book And Candle is an unfortunate overlooked classic of both Jimmy's and Kim's careers, kinda of hard to live up Vertigo. Regardless of that, this has become a favorite of mine since I learned about from a special on AMC called Bride Of Monster Mania back in 2001.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
This is one thread I wish would stay dead and buried. To be honest, I hate to even be reminded of it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny- I think the thread got a little messy near post 44 in terms of how people interpret or read subtext into the film.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny- I think the thread got a little messy near post 44 in terms of how people interpret or read subtext into the film.
Ah yes, I had forgotten. Personally I don’t have a problem with the subtext of the film being discussed. May this thread rise from the archives again and again. It’s a fun movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks