What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
John Van Druten’s wonderfully offbeat romantic comedy ends up in excellent Hollywood hands in Richard Quine’s fanciful screen version of Bell, Book and Candle.

Bell Book and Candle (1958)

Released: 19 Dec 1958
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 106 min

Director: Richard Quine
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Romance

Cast: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovacs
Writer(s): Daniel Taradash (screenplay), John Van Druten (play)

Plot: A modern-day witch likes her neighbor but despises his fiancée, so she enchants him to love her instead, only to fall in love with him for real.

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This film should have gone to Criterion or Shout Factory, as they would of given us more in-depth features about the making of this underrated classic, not just spit out the TT release again only this time with new cover art.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I missed the TT one so this will end up on a wishlist. It’s not one of my very favorites but it has Jimmy Stewart and that’s usually all I need to hear.
I have to admit my fondness for this movie is strictly about Kim Novak. Hubba, hubba!:) Also, I kind of enjoyed Jack Lemmon's performance as her brother in the movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have to admit my fondness for this movie is strictly about Kim Novak. Hubba, hubba!:) Also, I kind of enjoyed Jack Lemmon's performance as her brother in the movie.

Cant complain about any of that either :)

I wish I liked the movie as much as I like the cast. I’ve seen it a couple times and I always hope to like it more than I do.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Am I right in assuming the image and sound are identical to the Twilight edition?[/QUOT

A favourite film of mine. I always thought the TT image could have been improved but you gave this release a 5. Is this because it is better than the TT release or is it the same and you feel it couldn't be improved.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm assuming this is the same transfer as the TT. I'm sure with new technologies, the HD transfer done almost a decade ago could be improved, but I doubt Sony would shell out the money it would take for a new update of a vintage title with stars who are no longer on the tips of tongues of many of today's movie watchers.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
A most enjoyable film with a stellar cast that gets at least a Christmas viewing and more often when I'm in the mood for a Stewart or Novak film. Thanks for the terrific review, Matt.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
A fun film and I have the Twilight Time pressing so no improvement, no repurchase. But didn’t know it sold out so glad it available to everyone who wants!

Funny how TT discs have been sodramatically reduced lately. I picked up 6 at $9.99 each last week

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
The Twilight Time release has an isolated score track - does the Sony have it? One of my favorite Duning scores..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
s-l300.png

Now, that's what I'm talking about.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks