What's new

Beginner coaxial questions (1 Viewer)

Chris_House

Agent
I am planning to use the coaxial output with my new digital receiver (I'll get it in about 2 weeks), but am still kind of confused as to what cable I should use. As of this moment, I still have my Pro Logic setup, and am using the standard red/yellow/white cables to make the DPL connection. Could I just use one of those three cords for the digital coaxial connection once I get the new receiver? Or is there a more purpose-specific type of cable that I need?
Also, I was looking around bestbuy.com and I noticed they have a section for "audio cables" (click here), and a section for "digital audio cables" (click here) What is the difference in these two types of cables? Why are there cables designated specifically as "digital"? Is there any reason I should buy the digital type over the normal type? Thanks.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
A digital audio coaxial cable is basically just a normal coaxial cable(either RG59 or RG6) with 75ohm connectors(usually RCA, sometimes BNC). Most analog coaxial cables will also work, but they're often not 75ohms, hence may not yield the best results.

If you're willing to go the DIY way, the results might be a lot better and cheaper than going with boutique cables.

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you have the proper quality tools, DIY may not be the most cost effective way to go. Would suggest you use one of the cables you have. If you notice audio drop outs - and you will notice if present, then upgrade to a better cable. I use a gold plated rat shack audio cable with no problem.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris.

The people who designed the spec for the coaxial digital output had a VIDEO cable in mind. (They wanted you to be able to find it easially).

All video cables are made with 75 ohm coaxial cable. So that cable with the YELLOW plug should work fine.

Audio cables can be made with 50/75/110 and 300 ohm coax.

The only thing about a cable with the word "DIGITAL" on the package is the word.

The AR brand in your link is very popular. Go for it.

standard red/yellow/white cables
Are these 3 separate cables, that are round & thick as your CATV coax? If so, they ARE coaxial cables.

Sometimes you find cheap "patch cords" that look like walkman headphone wires with RCA plugs. You should avoid these.

Good Luck.

Chris_House

Agent
Thanks guys. I think, based on what Bob said, that what I have are patch cords, since they are pretty thin. Since I don't believe any of my pre-existing cords will do the trick, what I will probably do is go to Best Buy and find one of the cheaper 75 ohm cords that actual has "digital coaxial" on the box. I hope this will give me a good cable at a fairly decent price.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Chris,

Even some of the cheaper coaxial and/or optical cables at BestBuy, CC, etc., can be virtually double the price of similar cabling found on the web (or at Radio Shack, their Gold series cables). Just in case there's still enough time for you to order and get the cable before your unit arrives. . .

And again, either "Digital Coaxial" or a 75 ohm video cable (yellow ends; sometimes has more shielding than the "digital coaxial" cable) should work.

Regards,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks