What's new

Beatles (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I just had a nostalgia attack for the Beatles and want to buy some CD's of their music. I know there's been a ton of CD's released over the years and a lot of them have terrible sound and production values. Can anyone direct me to some Beatles CD's that sound wonderful?

Brad

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The original releases are pretty bad. They exemplify "early digital" to me, probably because they are. The "Yellow Submarine" Songtrack from a couple years ago is good, as is the cd version of "Love" (the DVD-A is astonishing and worth buying for the 5.1 DTS track alone, btw, in case you don't have DVD-A capability).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Not sure what you mean by "production values" - do you mean the original production? That's not gonna change no matter how well-mastered the CDs may be. Not that I think there's anything wrong with the production - those albums were well-produced, IMO.

And there haven't been a "ton" of CD releases over the years. In terms of the original albums, you can essentially find only ONE release for each. Exceptions: there were Canadian CDs of "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" that used the original mixes, and there was a Japanese "Abbey Road" with a different mastering. Good luck getting any of those for less than $100 - they're very desirable and rare.

Otherwise, the CDs for the original albums are the same ones that've been on the shelves since 1987. They've released other new compilations since then, but the originals haven't changed in 21 years...

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jack.

Colin, by production values I meant well mastered - ones that have as full a tonal range as possible and don't sound like a tinny one track pseudo stereo. I think you know what I mean. Some CD's sound awesome while others deserve to be burned at the stake. I see many other artists' older albums being re-released with, and I paraphrase, "newly re-mastered, sounds better than ever, cleaned up, etc.", ad nauseum. Just wondering if there are some Beatles CD's that are better than others and which ones, if any, to stay away from. Thanks for your help.

Brad

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
It's been reported for YEARS now that the entire cataloge has been/will be remastered to be put up on iTunes, and that new CD releases will follow after. This isn't just rumor either, all the various "apples" have commented on it, yet here we are, February 2008 with no Beatles in site. *sigh*

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Brad Vautrinot:
There have been quite a few releases over the years. However, not all of them are (as you probably know) legitimate releases. I own roughly 250 LPs of the Beatles music (from about twenty countries) and over 200 CDs, including a ton of stuff the wasn't released legitimately. (For example, I own around seven or eight recordings of many of the releases on Please Please Me and With the Beatles. It's wonderful being able to trace to some extent the compositional processes by listening to the earlier and subsequent versions of one and the same song. Listening to Don't Bother Me in keys other than what it was legitimately released in is a real treat.)

The North American releases do sound quite different than the British in many respects, esp. with regard to sibilance with the drums. I don't mind the sound, since I enjoy both the American and non-American releases for different reasons. I just put on a different set of ears. So I suppose I really cannot define for you what sounding 'wonderful' might be. But one piece of advice I might be able to share is that for the earlier albums (up until around SPLHCB, I believe, you probably want to purchase the British albums first (or pehaps I should say not the original North American releases) since these most often contain around fourteen (as opposed to eleven) tunes per album.

Happy hunting and listening. :)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
1987, people. 1987. It's sad to think how desperately these need remastered. That doesn't mean I want "louder is better," but a fresh remaster. Oh well, they will eventually come.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Amen Ockeghem! Though I don't like to identify my sources for bootleg material (and we're not really supposed to discuss them anyway), I do like the fact that so many that were released in the 80's have a sonic quality that rivals and (more often) surpasses the official releases, especially where session reels are concerned. Where they came from in terms of timing with Mark Lewison's marvellous book is still a hot subject of debate.

I will however, go to great length to say that, even though they are from later generation masters, the Capitol Records box sets are a revelation in sonic quality, especially where mono mixes are concerned. Being a Britmix fan, the stereo version of The Beatles' Second Album is still a sonic bastardizing with all the extra compression, 'duophonic' mixing, and reverb, but the fact that overall there are stereo and mono mixes of songs not found elsewhere (including the British singles and EP box sets) is reason enough to have them.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well said. Some of those mono. mixes are superb. For my own part, I will take monophonic recordings over rechanneled stereophonic any day. Incidentally, our library (read: me ;)) just ordered the book by Dave Marsh, The Beatles' Second Album (New York: Rodale, c2007). The ISBN for the work is 1594864268 (hardcover). I haven't read it yet, but I do have a hold on it. :)

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr

Mastering aside, for the "Quick Fix". pick up the Red & Blue sets.

Add a different CD every month. Stir until ready.

Enjoy!

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr
Scott:
"Well said. Some of those mono. mixes are superb. For my own part, I will take monophonic recordings over rechanneled stereophonic any day. Incidentally, our library (read: me ) just ordered the book by Dave Marsh, The Beatles' Second Album (New York: Rodale, c2007). The ISBN for the work is 1594864268 (hardcover). I haven't read it yet, but I do have a hold on it. "

I read it about a month ago. Great book, especially if The Second Album was the first Beatle album you heard. Quick read but wonderful insight on a forgotten record.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I agree with that. That's what I did. I actually listened to a few select tracks last night. WOW, I don't remember them being that bad.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jamey,

I can't recall where I read this several years ago, but someone said (paraphrased) that harder rock one could not find at that time (speaking of their reaction to having first heard The Beatles Second Album). It is a wonderfully-raucous album, with many memorable tracks. And it's not even in my top five Beatles albums.

I'm sure you've heard the Decca Sessions version of Money. Sometime, if you are able, play that track and then the like-titled work included on The Beatles Second Album. Oh my, what a difference! Metalic (dare I say ground-breaking in some respects?) doesn't begin to describe the latter release compared to the Decca Sessions cut.

Okay, I have to do this. Mind you, these are not only my favorite Beatles albums of all-time, but my favorite albums of all-time. They're on the desert island, probably before just about any other albums I own. :)

Incidentally, these are my top five (5) albums--LOL. ;)

1) A Hard Day's Night
3) Please Please Me / With the Beatles (tie)
5) Revolver / Rubber Soul (tie)
6) St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
7) Abbey Road

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr

You're right Scott. In 64 I went to buy Meet The Beatles and they were sold out, so I took home The Second Album. It opens with Roll Over Beethoven and rocked pretty hard for 64. It's still my test disk when I'm setting levels! That being said, I forget to put it in any "top list." The Capitol box set has brought it back to me and I really like the weird stereo version, because that's the way I first heard on the family's living room stereo.

][/quote]
Okay, I have to do this. Mind you, these are not only my favorite Beatles albums of all-time, but my favorite albums of all-time. They're on the desert island, probably before just about any other albums I own. :)

Incidentally, these are my top five (5) albums--LOL. ;)

1) A Hard Day's Night
3) Please Please Me / With the Beatles (tie)
4) Revolver / Rubber Soul (tie)
6) St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
7) Abbey Road[/quote]

Ok, mine changes season to season, but here's where I am:

1. Revolver
2. Help! (british)
3. Second Album
4. Abbey Road
5. Rubber Soul

I love this band so much. There are as relevant to me today, as they were that night in 64.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jamey,

I've been into the band since 1964 as well, but not seriously until about four years after that. I remember their appearance on Ed Sullivan (Feb. 9, 1964), mostly because my aunt came screaming into the room just before they came on the show.

I have spent countless hours analyzing their music from many different technical standpoints (analysis is a passion of mine). But I can also just enjoy their music on its own merits. I continue to collect their music on LP and CD, and probably won't ever stop doing that. :)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I own pretty much every officially-released Beatles CD out there. The official releases of the UK albums do sound pretty bad to my ears.

There are some *unofficial* ones floating around of amazing quality, put out by someone using the moniker "Dr. Ebbetts." He does painstaking transfers of pristine, unopened vinyls. As a younger (28) obsessive Beatles fan, listening to his vinyl transfers was revolutionary. I am not condoning bootlegs here. Like I said, I own EVERYTHING they put out on CD (the albums, past masters, red/blue, 1, Love, Let It Be...Naked, Anthology 1,2,3 and DVDs, etc). When I want to hear their original tunes now though, I listen to the Dr. Ebbetts stuff. It really is incredible.

I hope the rumors/talk of new official releases is true. If so, I'll own every single one on release day!! Can't wait. :D

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Olivia Harrison has said that the remasters will be coming sometime this year. Supposedly there's an iTunes deal already in place, and that's where they'll debut when everything's ready.

Maybe pick up 1 to satisfy yourself in the meantime, but you might as well wait a few months. Even if they don't show up by the end of the year, there's no reason to buy the same album again in the span of a year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks