What's new

Beatles (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
They're just so dang good. I've been listening to one of my favorite albums (Please Please Me) quite a lot over the past few days.

I often separate the tracks (where possible) so that I can hear two of the Fabs, then three, then four, etc. It's a neat way to hear what's going on more clearly in the other parts. Fun fact: No less than six tunes on that album are in E major.

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr
The song "Please Please Me" has been my favorite Beatle song for the last year, replacing "And Your Bird Can Sing" which held the top spot for a long time.

"Getting Better" has been making a run for #1 but I don't think it's going to make it.

The stereo version of "Please Please Me" with the blown line in the last verse just rocks. Really rocks.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Please Please Me is just such a great song. As Martin remarked, there was such a great quality about it.

I'm intrigued to hear of someone who ranks either And Your Bird Can Sing or Getting Better among their favorites. I've not heard anyone ever include those specific tunes among their top songs. It's just another testament (IMO) to the greatness (and diversity) of the Fabs. I don't think (in fact, I know) that I could choose a favorite song all-time of theirs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I adore "Bird". "Better" is fine but not a fave, while "Bird" might well be my favorite Beatles tune - gotta be top 10 at least...

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
My faves change constantly, also, but "She Said She Said" and "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" always seem to stay near the top.

And the DVD-A of "Love" gets its share of playtime. Amazing quality on those tapes. I've never heard "Revolution" or "A Day in the Life" sound so good.
I'm always stunned that a band could come up with this music...

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I would have thought One that came out a few years ago would have had remastered songs on that collection, considering it was a "new" release.

I didn't buy it, but was that not the case?

I'm looking forward to the Beatles iPod, myself...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's all very frustrating. Can you think of another really big band from the '60s & '70s that haven't had their back catalogue re-released as Sp. Eds.?

I want good stereo CDs of; "A Hard Days Night" & "Beatles For Sale" (& nothing fake stereo about them - just listen to the tracks on the red compilation album) & a mono "St. Pepper"! In fact give them the "Pet Sounds" treatment & a big booklet. One day....maybe.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There are no "special editions" of the Stones' albums. Unlike the Beatles, their catalog has been remastered since the original mid-80s CDs appeared, but none of them come as "special editions". (Though the 2002 "More Hot Rocks" does include a couple extra songs...)

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr

I agree...it is stunning to know that the same band who did "I Saw Her Standing There" is same band that did "A Day In A Life". I think that was adds to the legend and appeal of The Beatles.

And "Love" is a sonic masterpiece in 5.1

Chris

Senior HTF Member
All the albums do need remastered as some have had some wear with age, not that the composition changes (it's perfect) but some of the CDs sound "eh" in comparison to how I remember hearing these off of pristine vinyl in the early eighties/late seventies. That tells me something.

That having been said, my top five Beatles:

1. Abbey Road - I've always considered this the "perfect" Album, an album which hits such a rush of a stride by the middle that it comes together so astonishingly well. There is a really "top tier" of albums in my mental list, albums I always set aside from others (Abbey Road, Bridge over Troubled Water, Tori Amos Under the Pink, etc.) but Abbey Road is almost on it's own with how rewarding I find it every time I listen. Some of the songs have changed meaning for me greatly as I grew older.. (as a kid, I loved to rock out with "You Never Give Me Your Money" but as I've grown older, I find the song pretty heartbreaking). But it's still a fav.

2. The White Album. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, but everytime I respect the craft.

3. Sgt Pepper / Rubber Soul - Brilliant albums, both of them, and it's hard for me to seperate the two out. Kind of the tipping point for the Beatles really transcending pop.

5. Please Please Me. For all the obvious reasons ;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Abbey Road has been my favorite album for most of my life. When I was 10 or so, back in the late 70's, my dad brought home two 8-tracks (!) one day. One was Abbey Road, and the other was Born To Run (local artist). I think I made the right choice.

And those occurring over the span of only 3-4 years? Nothing has, or ever will, compare.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I heartily agree.

Jamie, I haven't made up my mind yet as to which CD's I'll be buying. I'd like to wait for the forthcoming re-masters to hear what they sound like but I haven't seen any release dates yet. Woe is me.

Brad

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr

I'm fond of the Jersey boy myself!

..[/quote]
And those occurring over the span of only 3-4 years? Nothing has, or ever will, compare.[/quote]

There is something there for everyone...Pop...Folk...Rock..Progressive....it's an amazing body of work. In seven years, they change everything that came before them and then...they're gone. Forever.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The way the Beatles remasters have been going, that could be a long wait. I'll accept their existence when I own them, and not a second before that...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Rolling who? never heard of 'em.

EMI must have made billions out of the Beatles, the least they could do is to do right by their back catalogue.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I really like the two-4 disc sets of the US releases of Beatles albums. This is the way I remember hearing their music when it was first released. I didn't even know the original UK versions existed until the late 60s.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Marty. I think I'll listen to many different releases which will likely lead to me buying all of them and there goes my budget!

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks