What's new

Beatles in Hi-Rez (1 Viewer)

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Since the new upcoming Beatle sets are remastered in 24/196 has anyone read or heard if 'they' intend to release these sets in DVD-A 24/196 at some point?

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Nothing definitive...only rumors of something in a year or two after they've managed to sell this new set to everyone and his mother first. Presumably we'll get a Blu-ray audio set down the line similar to Neil Young's...hopefully including 5.1 surround in addition to both mono and stereo hi-rez. At least we can dream...

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Well the fact they are still selling the LOVE dvd-audio seems to indicate they think hi-res multichannel music sells decently, so I think there's a good chance of that.

BTW the format they used was 19[COLOR= rgb(255, 153, 0)]2[/COLOR]kHz.

Personally what I am hoping for is faithful remixes (of the albums that can be remixed) in hi-res form, stereo or multichannel. Not because I dislike the originals, but because faithful remixes should sound so much better: anyone that's heard the LOVE album knows how good their stuff can sound, much of it sounding like it was recorded yesterday. That's because the multitracks, the source of any Beatles remix, will be in much better condition than the original stereo master tapes. The stereo master tapes have been used multiple times to make safety copies and other tapes as the source for all that vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs manufactured over the years. OTOH the multitracks have hardly been touched, except for making the stereo masters and the multichannel mixes i.e. LOVE, Yellow Submarine and the Anthology dvds.

Heck I'd take the remixes in stereo form on plain ol' CD!

But what I'm reeeeeeeally hoping for is the Beatles in 5.1 form, even if it were just DTS on a conventional dvd. FYI: DTS at it highest bitrate of 1536kbps is approximately equivalent to a 500kbps stereo MP3 file, so IMO on many peoples' systems such a 5.1 mix will be perceived as exhibiting CD quality.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
I'll go ahead and say it, I don't like a lot of the original mixes. Everything pushed off to one channel (i.e. Eleanor Rigby, all strings in the left channel and almost all vocals in the right channel), gives me a headache listening to it on headphones.

That being said, a multichannel high-res option (most likely on Blu-ray at this point, although, DVD-A or SACD would work for me) would be just the thing. That way, high-res mono, stereo, and 5.1 mixes could be included on the same disc. I'd pay a premium for that.

Maybe I should start a petition?

Mark_TB

Second Unit
The issue of Rolling Stone from a couple of week's ago mentioned the 24/192 masters and the possibility of a Blu-ray release. Paul McCartney's response was something along the lines of, "There's plenty of time for that." (Sorry, I read this in a library today and can't refer to the exact quote.) But my impression was that it would probably happen someday, but there are no immediate plans.

- Mark

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I was interested to read McCartney say that he really wasn't that keen on "improved sound quality", and that he said something to the effect of, "I'm the kind of guy who thinks it sounds good on an AM radio".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks