What's new

A24, Imax Set New Monthly Screening Series (1 Viewer)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
A24-x-MAX.jpg

A24 and Imax have teamed up to bring past A24 titles to large format fans in a new monthly screening series kicking off March 27th, the Imax debut of Alex Garland’s 2014 sci-fi classic Ex Machina is first up with the presentation including an “exclusive sneak peek” at Garland’s upcoming Civil War.

Civil War, also from A24, premieres at SXSW tomorrow and debuts in theaters, including Imax, April 12th. The initiative, which looks to serve both partners well, calls for Imax to digitally remaster films from A24’s library of 140+ features for the screening series, which will run once a month for the next year. Ari Aster’s Hereditary (2018) is next up on April 24 followed by the Safdie Brothers’ Uncut Gems (2019) on May 22nd.

Screenings will be held at more than 300 Imax locations nationwide and some international theaters.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
An odd selection of titles. Uncut Gems in particular doesn't scream out IMAX to me, but that could just be because my opinion of that particular movie is that no screen could ever be small enough.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are theaters going to want their IMAX screens showing indie catalog titles once we get into a more steady release schedule?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It says it’s going to be once a month and only a percentage of total IMAX screens so I think they’ll be able to give up one screening a month at a normally dead time and promote it as an event and that’ll be a win.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
March 27 is a Wednesday. My local theater has already sold a handful of tickets for the single screening of Ex Machine then. It's not like they're choosing to do this on the opening weekend of a new blockbuster when the screen would be busy. They're probably happy to have something bringing in a little midweek business. Ex Machina makes sense in particular because they are going to use it to hype up Alex Garland's new film. If they don't draw anybody for a few months, then the series would probably stop. But I don't really see a downside here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks