What's new

Beatle George Harrison dies at 58 (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
I thought that they also said that they would never put out a volume two becasue of the passing of Roy Orbison. They then skipped two and then put out volume three. I could be wrong though, I'm not too familiar with the Wilbury's stuff.

KrisM

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Glenn,

I bought the first Wilburys CD when it was released, and it says 'volume 1' both on the front, the spine, and the disc itself (I am looking at it and listening to it right now). I also bought their second release, clearly labeled 'volume 3' throughout. So...there is a volume 1 and a volume 3; volume 2 is the one which never existed, due to the Wilburys' mischievousness.

Back on topic...sigh...I heard the news on the radio heading in to work yesterday morning. I feel sadder about this than I would have ever anticipated. Rock stars die all the time, but George's death - maybe because it was from natural causes(?) - tore a hole in my heart. I've always viewed George as terribly underrated and never having received his just acclaim.

It's weird; so far, the Beatles are dying in the order of how much I admire them.

Jon

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, never heard of Vol. 1 ever referred to as Vol. 2. As others have stated, there is no Vol. 2 in the Wilburys discography. But then again, I was only seven years old when Vol. 1 came out, so I could be wrong.
On another note: this morning I pulled out my DVD of Gimme Some Truth: The Making of John Lennon's Imagine and watched it. There's quite a bit of footage of John and George sitting at a dining table talking about John's album and what to do next before hitting the studio. Watching that gave me a really eerie feeling.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Details of George's final days and his last wish....
Does anyone know anything about News Of The World? Not sure what kind of paper this, so not sure how credible it is..but this is a very interesting story.
If true, it does clear up some questions about this friend's (DeBecker)house where George apparently chose to spend his final hours.
I had been attempting to follow his treatment for the two or three weeks, and although there was very little information to go on, it did seem strange to me that if he was as gravely ill as rumoured why he chose Los Angeles and this specific friend's house.
The whole past month had been extremely hush-hush, and now I think I can understand better why...even if this particular article is not completely accurate, the seeds of truth are probably there.
Basically, George wanted to prevent a circus atmosphere surrounding his death and went to a great deal of trouble to protect his family from such an occurance...thoughtful, loving and desperate for privacy until the end.
It's tough reading...I wept as I read it.
George's final smile....
Jon

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I made this a non-HT day, and just played George's music. Really great. His death is only second to John's, and I don't want to go through that day again. I'm glad I'm older.

As for the 1 & 2 fiasco, clearly something is screwed up. I'd quickly say that I have been wrong but I searched through some on-line scans today and none of them have volume 1 or 2 on the cover or the spline. It makes me think how many times that it was reprinted.

Glenn

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
If I may mention, I am currently producing and hosting a weekly internet radio series 'The Beatles Sunday Special' on FixxRadio.com. It tells of Beatle music history through alternate recordings (live and studio, etc).
While this week's episode was already 'in the can' for broadcast, after hearing the news Friday, I have put together a new special which will prominantly feature Harrison's performance in Japan in 1991 with Eric Clapton and his band (the same band that Clapton used for 'Unplugged'). The CD of the concerts is long out of print, and if you haven't heard the CD I would invite you to have a listen.
The show airs Sunday at 12:00 noon and repeats Sunday evening at 9:00 central.
You can go to Link Removed or use this link for realtime streamed audio (Winamp, RealPlayer compatible):
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/play....e=filename.pls
Respectfully, I'm not trying to plug the program here, but for those who may be interested, feel free to check it out.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I'm a little late adding to this forum....
I was watching Yellow Submarine last Thursday night not knowing that this great and gentle man had already passed on to a greater place just hours earlier. Friday night I played a private personal concert (I listened to Live in Japan) and couldn't get over the fact that he's gone. A picture of The Beatles hangs over my Home Theatre Equipment (circa White Album photo sessions). Its very emotional to look at since Friday morning when I heard the news of his passing on.:frowning:
John, Stu & George are probably jamming up there as I write this. :)
His website is temporarily shut down so I would like to send my family's condolences to the Harrison family here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks