What's new

Be honest....Since most of my dvds are 2:35:1 is burn in that much of a threat??? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Ok. Only about 20 % of my collection is 1:85:1, the rest are 2:35:1....it seems the majority of dvd's are.
Being that I am a worrying nut...and Lord of The Rings will not be filling up my entire screen then....is it going to be a big problem if I watch it a shitload of times?
Will burn in be a big problem?
Do I really need to rotate enhanced and non enhanced ratios to avoid burn in? Am I worrying for nothing?:frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What kind of display do you have? And how reasonable are the picture settings? (You know the drill: White and Black levels reduced to accurate settings, usually well below fifty percent.)

Though it's a good idea to mix the type of programming you are watching, burn-in should not be an issue for you if the contrast is set low enough.

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Tv is a Mitusbishi 46809. Contrast levels have been lowered to the (hopefully) safe levels. SO you're saying no problem with black bars on top & bottom with with anamorphic 2:35:1 transfers.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, it's always a potential problem. Mike Wood of Home Theater magazine likens it to uneven wear on a carpet; if you walk over the same area of carpet all the time, that section of the carpet wears more easily. Same with phosphors in a CRT-based display: If you watch widescreen films exclusively, the active picture area will wear out more quickly.

So, lowering the contrast and brightness to less than a fifty-percent setting reduces the chances for this--but doesn't eliminate it. Hence, it's a good idea to watch 4:3-originated material as well.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Too bad you couldn't shift the image up or down for each 2.35:1 movie you watch, almost like a screen saver :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It is a "threat" in the pure sense that it's technically possible to happen. If you calibrate the set with Avia or VE, that threat diminishes considerably. I watch alot of 2.35 films and I don't worry about it. I have seen burn-in on sets on showroom floors and although it is noticable, it isn't the most distracting thing in the world. Not that you shouldn't try to avoid it, of course.

Bruce

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well IMHO if you watch movies exclusively, and 80% of those are 2.35... well then even if you do get burn in it should only be noticable on a small portion of your viewing right? just somethign else to consider..... but i second the vote that tv's should be able to shift the images up down or keep it int he middle, what a way to avoid burn in.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Seems like BURN IN is more of a problem on big screen HDTV sets than they are on regular direct view SDTVs. Hell, maybe I'll save up for an LCD or Plasma display and won't have to worry about BURN IN.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Seems like BURN IN is more of a problem on big screen HDTV sets than they are on regular direct view SDTVs. Hell, maybe I'll save up for an LCD or Plasma display and won't have to worry about BURN IN.
You can get burn-in on plasma displays, too...

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
*cartman voice* AWWW...Son of A BITCH!! Well, how come I have NO PROBLEM with BURN IN on my direct view SDTVs, but everybody else has a problem with burn in on their BIG SCREEN HDTVs? The taskbar never causes any burn in on our computer monitors. WTF?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Burn in is the biggest risk on RPTV's and i believe extra precautions are taken on computer monitors to prevent it as there are by nature so many static images on computers. as well teh better the tv i figure the more likely you will notice a little bit of burn in, if you paid 5000$ for a tv you will just be more critical.

Chris,

Some DVD players *can* move the 2.35 image around the screen, like the malata n996 - not as nice as the popular panny progressive models, but still a nice player (region free as well), and *very* helpful for avoiding screen burn-in. Having this player was one of the reasons that I bought an RPTV...

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks