What's new

BCI Cancels Upcoming HD DVD Slate (1 Viewer)

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I was able to pick a copy last night in my local Frys here in Indianapolis - would have preferred it on Blu but the way classics are currently going on Blu, not sure when that may happened. Either way, really glad to have it.

Regards,
Shakeel

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I think BCI has plans to release on blu-ray, its just a matter of when.

Doug

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I could not contain my inner nerd, as I felt compelled to compare the BCI HD-DVD of Son of Paleface with the original BCI DVD. (It was not a test that could withstand empirical scrutiny, as I used different players with different connections. Still, both players have been calibrated to the display. Anyway, the differences between versions weren't subtle). I always thought the DVD looked pretty good.

I can't say with certainty, but it doesn't look like BCI used the same print. Comparing the handy still shots that appear in the pre-credit sequence, the HD-DVD was cleaner, although I've never been very sensitive to some dust, debris and scratches when it comes to older films. Every video incarnation of SOP I've seen has impressed me as a little too dark, although I have no way of knowing what the original looked like. The HD version in this case is darker then the DVD. It's also a little pinker, but shows a greater gradation of color.

Still, the DVD looked very "pumped" by comparison, with a lot of halos and color saturation that seemed to crank the already wide boundaries of technicolor. There are scenes that are more colorful on the DVD, but by comparison, looked artificial. Some outdoor shots are absolutely eye-popping on the HD. On the DVD, the same shots are pretty edgy and relatively ugly.

In short, the DVD is cotton candy by comparison. The HD-DVD is well worth the upgrade for fans of the film.

As a Bob Hope fan, I preferred the original Paleface movie to this sequel. Despite the terrifically goofy Frank Tashlin touches, this sequel is weighed down by lackluster songs. I like SOP a lot, but hoped the original would be the first to hi-def. Also, as I recall, my original laserdisc of Paleface was a P.Q. beaut. Here's hoping it makes it's way to Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks