What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 - SciFi US broadcast thread (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Really really hard to get a grasp on for sure. Just wow in so many ways.

I could handle just about everything except the Kara/Tigh's hugging scene. Kara hated Tigh and his wife more than just about anything other than a Toaster. There must have been some major event happen over that lat year to result in that and both sides looked like it was expected.

Where was Zarek? Didn't see him at the swearing in of the President and nowhere in the new cabinet at the end. Didn't he live on Cloud Nine, would they blow up Hatch?

Gaeta must be really disappointed in his Idol.

The final scene with the Toasters marching down the aisle was just blood-chilling.

39K on New Caprica plus how ever many are on the ships -- I'm guessing 2-3 thousand more since they appear to be running skeleton crew so that means roughly 7-8K died in the Nuke.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Wow! That last half hour or so really threw things for a loop, didn't they. One thing for sure, they're not afraid to take chances.

It certainly wasn't a perfect episode. The subplot about the election fraud ended up being completely pointless, since Baltar excused it and then they jumped ahead a year - they might as well have just eliminated that part completely.

Is the Cylon "plan" now the same as it always was? Do the writers even know what the "plan" is?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
More thoughts - the cylon baby really didn't look old enough to be a year+ in age.

I loved how the nuke turned out to be the signal that brought the Cylons (and they observed the laws of physics by having them detect it a year later from a lightyear out, cool).

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I don't think this episode wipes ANYTHING off the map, Adam. It's not like next season is going to happen in a vaccuum, and it's not like the experiences of the 9 months of running isn't going to factor, nor are the relationships between the characters going to disappear or reset. They're different, they're changed, and the dynamic is going to be different. The difference here (to bite the wachowskis) is CHOICE. The first time, they HAD to run. It was a reaction. This time--it's going to be a choice. There are going to be serious differences between the last time they had to run and this time. And there's going to be a completely different dynamic to this Cylon occupation than the other ones.

The situation here is only superficially similar to the end of the miniseries. And even then, I think that's sort of a stretch. Those 9 months aren't discarded at all because of this, those 9 months are what's going to make this possible escape a completely different thing.

This definitely didn't feel like a reset to me. It felt like a major kick in the balls, a huge risk, and a logical bit of storytelling. This FITS in the story, to me. Nothing's been wiped out because all this weight WILL come to bear on the coming decisions and actions.

There are so many options from here on out. To assume these guys, who have been this ballsy for this long, are going to take the easiest route out of this, that they're going to retread and reset and stomp over the exact same ground. the interview at Now Playing that Travis just posted (Thanks trav) very directly points to this. This is a crazy place they just took us, but it looks like they know their way out of it, and I see no reason not to trust them past this.

hell, they drove us through THIS twist so expertly I'm only angry that I gotta wait til fuckin OCTOBER to get to it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You misunderstand me. I'm practically certain that they won't retread and stomp over the same ground. That ground has been utterly wiped away. The characters' backgrounds and situations are completely different. My argument isn't that Season 3 will be Season 1 redux. My argument is that Season 3 will be the equivilant of the first season of an entirely new series - perhaps a spin-off, like Battlestar 1980 (only, hopefully, good).

I'm thinking about reviewing this episode in two halves. Before the jump and after. Everything before the jump is classic Battlestar 2003. Everything after is like the pilot of the spin-off series. There is most certainly a through line between the two, but it is almost tenuous.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
Can someone help me? I work the second shift so I always have my dvr record the show and I watch when I get home. For some reason the dvr stopped right after the silon said they detected the radiation signal then it stopped paused on baltar's face. Do you want to delete of keep. So anyway what happened after that?

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
Can someone help me? I work the second shift so I always have my dvr record the show and I watch when I get home. For some reason the dvr stopped right after the silon said they detected the radiation signal then it stopped paused on baltar's face. Do you want to delete or keep? So anyway what happened after that point.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

I don't see that at all. This is sorta like the Helo/Sharon/Starbuck caprica arcs, writ large. Except with a lot more people, a lot more weight, and a lot more history involved on this end. Plus an even WEAKER set of Battlestars, and constant cut-aways to the Cylons and their homeworld. I don't get how this jump makes the link between seasons 2 and 3 so tenuous. It's following right along, storywise. The jump seems rather necessary to me, actually, because I'd rather we have this than a yearlong stretch-out season of no cylons on this New Caprica. THAT would be more along the lines of what you're talking about in regards to a "new series" than where this tack takes us.

I still don't see how that ground has been wiped away at all. That's forcing a vaccuum into the show that isn't going to exist.

Billy: After that, I believe Baltar officially surrendered, and we cut to a series of shots of Centurions marching through the tent city and Chief asking Starbuck what they're going to do now.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Those are two different groups. Peg-6 led the pro-Cylon movement; Delaney the Bring Me the Head of Sharon Valerii Action Committee.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Love the finale, and I dont think it will ruin the series at all. I think it will be even better. The series has been all about choices. The people of the fleet made the wrong choice voting for Baltar as president, and now they must live with what has happened.

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator

Interesting - although I watched it live, my wife watched the DVR'ed version this morning. She said exactly the same thing. Must be a general scheduling problem. Not good on a season slammer like this!

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder how much this was trimmed down? We know we missed a scene from the previews. That could have easily been a very rich 2 or 3 hours. Although the frenetic pacing was quite thrilling, so I don't argue with the editing at all.

Unless one of the cuts was Imperious Leader... :wink:

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Add me to the "holy frakkin' feldercarb" crew. This literally had my jaw in my lap. Watching it with friends we kept looking at each other going WTF? for the last half hour of the show. It was great! And loved the 'stache! It was old-school Olmos!

I think this was a necessary boost to the system. I think a show about "running away" would get old if they didn't change the route often enough. They will no doubt run again at some point next year but I am betting (hoping) that we spend some time on New Caprica for a while. I agree that this will mirror darkly (w00t! Can't wait for that movie...sorry) the old Caprica storylines but I bet in reverse. A lot of time on Caprica and a little time with the rest of the fleet as they prepare for their big rescue. And I bet we have a dramatic scene of Adama shaving the 'stache! Or maybe a realization one day that the 'stache is gone (ala Batman: Dark Knight Returns)!

I LOVE Stockwell as the new Cylon. I hope he is a regular. His sarcastic Cylon is a great change of pace from the more stoic versions that get pious all the time. I think he is "god" in the Cylon parlance. He is the only one that doesn't believe in one which makes me think it is he that they are revering. I wonder if they got spaced as Roslyn ordered? I also am curious what happened to Sharon? If Helo is still in uniform my bet is she is still being held on Galactica or spaced.

I can't wait for the "we're getting the band back together" episodes...people trying to fit into old uniforms, filling out positions on the bridge, the discomfort and awkwardness, etc. It will be great...in the Fall! The bastards!

John Swarce

Second Unit
Carl:

I noticed that this episode ended at 11:31 according to my cable box. Your DVR probably only ran until 11:30, as it was scheduled to be a 90 minute episode.

Damn NBC, doing what ABC and Fox do on their shows, running them over into the next hour so you miss the beginning of another network's show!!!! Oh, wait, that won't be until October! :D

John

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I got to watch the end. I recorded the second playing at night and then the movie right after it. Watched the first 2 minutes of the movie recording to see the end BSG.

Good news is Dish will be here next week and I can watch it all again on UHD.

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator

That would explain the sporadic, spine chilling yells of "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" I've been hearing roll across the Texas hill country this morning....

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I really was not surprised to see the cylons jumped in when they did. But what I never suspected was that they would jump forward a year. There is a lot that happened in that time frame that we never saw. And I was surprised that a civilization that advanced was still living in tents 1 years after settling on New Caprica. There was no sign that they even started to attempt to actually start rebuilding. And something else that did not add up. That is how arrogant Baltar was, yes he has an ego but I never saw him as a tyrant. The question is why would the cylons leave the humans alone for a year? At the same time it did make sense because they where able to get the human race to drop it guard. And it seemed strange that they would not have enough resources to fly missions at that point. After all the human race had been through it seemed sad that they would just so easily accept that the cylons had decided to end there extermination of the human race.

I to had accepted the idea that the Pegasus would most likely get nuked at the end of the season. I never suspected that cloud nine would end up being nuked instead. Also I would imagine that a large number of the resistance was on cloud 9 when the nuke went off. As far as the military goes when season 3 starts, will they stay away for a short time thus allowing for occupation of New Caprica to go on for a short time. Or will a reset button be used and the plot take a big turn when season 3 starts up in October? I cant believe that we all have to wait till October for season 3 to begin.

When season 3 starts up will Roslyn ever bring up that she believes that Baltar was involved with the cylon attacts on the colonies? When the fleet returns how will they take on a superior cylon force? Maybe that is how the Pegesus meets it end, instead of being destroyed by a nuke.

6 Months of no Battlestar Galactica :angry:

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Well they have been on the run which supply problems of there own . Havent even been able to build many new vipers. Building all new building on a planet isnt exactly easy

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
The Cylons left the humans alone because they couldn't find them. They indicated that finding them was an accident so I assume they were at least passively keeping an eye out for them.

6 month wait blows but at least it isn't an HBO show where the span between awesome series is well over a year (or two) with the likes of Sopranos, Deadwood and Rome having large spans of time in between seasons. And nary a DVD to keep be content for Rome and Deadwood Season 2. 6 months...I can do that. I can be tough. Just don't let it go to NBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks