What's new

Battle Royale (1 Viewer)

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard anything about this movie getting a region 1 release? It was one of my favorite movies last year, and I was hoping that maybe some smaller company like Anchor Bay or Criterion would pick it up.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard there are a few companies interested, but Toei wants a lot more than most of them are willing to pay. I just don't think they understand that the biggies have no more interest in the film due to Columbine.

Until then, you have the following options:

1- Hong Kong VCD- burned in Chinese/English subs, Japanese stereo-$8

2- Hong Kong DVD(Region 3)- Japanese DD&DTS 5.1, non-anamorphic widescreen, English & Chinese DVD subs-$10

3- UK DVD(PAL, Region 2)- Japanese 2.0, anamorphic widescreen, English subtitles-$25

4- Japanese DVD (Region 2)- Dolby Digital 5.1, anamorphic widescreen-$40. Japanese subtitles

5- Japanese DVD (Region 2) Special Edition Director's Cut: Coming soon. Basically more violent and some extra flashback scenes plus extras.

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
Shriek Show announced last Sunday at the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors convention that they have acquired the title. Shriek Show is the new horror subdividivision of Media Blasters who do a lot of anime DVDs.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, Lannie, but you're confused. Shreik Show announced VISITOR Q and FREEZE ME, but not BATTLE ROYALE. Apparently, what the previous poster said was on the money: The producers want way too much money (the film was a huge hit in Japan). They're also weary of any potential cuts that might be made in the film (I guess Miramax is out of the running).

I will berate you about this in person at a later date.

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps you should consider berateing me here and now. It would be fun and amusing for everyone. And due to my self-imposed exile from someone we both now, who knows when I'll see you.

Give it your best shot.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Actually, I think the longer cut is less gory than the original cut. It supposedly has a longer running time due to the flashback sequences, but some violence and gore was cut so that more runs could be added in Japanese movie theaters to cash in on a younger section of the youth market than allowable in its first cut.

I cannot confirm this, but seem to remember reading it on a board about non-region 1 DVD releases.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
John, you are correct sir. :)
The longer cut, aka the special edition cut, has 100 edits from the theatrical cut (gore and quite a bit of sound effects are gone), but adds in a few flashback scenes and a requiem. This edit was made so that people under the age of fifteen could see the film.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I've been reading all of the posts about this movie, but still can't make up my mind about which one to get! And where.
The R2 UK release is 109min, so I'm guessing this is the original uncut version running short because of the pal-speedup. This can't be good considering the already high-pitched japanese language. It's anamorphic, and has a DD 2.0 track.
The R3 Hong Kong release is non-anamorphic but has a spiffy DTS track. I'm guessing this is uncut, but dddhouse.com doesn't mention this.
The Japanese R2 release is anamorphic, DD5.1 and uncut. No English subs, so not an option.
And finally the Japanese R2 Special Edition. Has this version arrived yet? How is the cut?
Realy wanna buy this movie! HELP :)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
If you have a good PAL to NTSC convertor, you could opt for the R2 UK release. But it would be Japanese stereo only.

The R3 Hong Kong release has dts, Dolby Digital, and stereo Japanese with English & Chinese(traditional & simplified) subtitles. This disc is compatible with NTSC televisions.

The R2 UK, R3 Hong Kong, and current R2 Japanese discs are the original theatrical cut. Not the toned-down edited version of the film.

The current R2 Japanese disc does not have English subtitles.

The R3 Hong Kong DVD is a better buy over the Video CD.

I, myself, have the R3 disc distributed by Universe Video & Laser Company Limited. The letterbox widescreen transfer is pretty good and the English subtitles are almost 99% gramatically correct.

The only caveat with the R3 disc is that one scene is missing the English subtitles for some words written on a blackboard early in the film. However, it does not detract from the enjoyment of the film.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Thanks, people :emoji_thumbsup:
Made up my mind, the R3 version is on its way from dddhouse.
Btw, it's dirt cheap :D

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
2- Hong Kong DVD(Region 3)- Japanese DD&DTS 5.1, non-anamorphic widescreen, English & Chinese DVD subs-$10
One caveat of this version though is that the English subtitles translate everything including English dialogue. Other than that it is a great disc considering it is a non-anamorphic transfer (and the price is right).

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
One caveat of this version though is that the English subtitles translate everything including English dialogue. Other than that it is a great disc considering it is a non-anamorphic transfer (and the price is right).

John,

Universe Video & Laser Company Limited does that with all their DVD & VCD releases with English subtitle options.

Even the Hong Kong films distributed by them on DVD & VCD have English subtitles for the English spoken portions.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
apparently the R2 Japanese Special Edition version is coming out end of May.
check here:
Link Removed
by the way, why is the R3 version I got windowboxed?

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
The R3 is only good for those who are watching on TVs. The picture quality is simply too bad to blow this up for projection. I had the R3 and replaced it with the far superior UK DVD (R2). Another DVD of BR will be released in Germany shortly, I hear.

-Mathias

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Mathias, what is superior about the UK R2 version? is it anamorphic? I assume it's PAL, but I am playing my imports from a HTPC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks