What's new

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Affleck's acting/directing chops are fine. I just think he's absolutely, totally wrong for the role.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I really want this movie to work. That desire is overriding my instinct that says this is not good for the movie. Enjoying some of his films over the years, I'll give him a fair shot. I really want him to do well with this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Help me out here guys. Is there any previous work of Ben's that has him with an intensity that is expected of Batman? Something that can start to reverse my concern? One scene where he has righteous anger, or an intimidating stare?

He's gonna be able to sleepwalk through the Wayne public persona who deceives with charm and a sheen of vapid 1% superiority, and he may be good as the sad, isolated private Wayne. But he's gonna have to stand up to Superman and lay it on the line. Snyder introduced the Superman v. Batman concept with these lines from TDKR as a template for the tone they intend to have: "I want you to remember, Clark. In all the years to come. In all your most private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you." Batman as the last guardian of humanity against a doomsday scenario of a corrupted Superman who no longer has mankind's best interests at heart.

Sorry, but he's just utterly wrong for the character every way I look at it. I like Affleck as an actor and a director. I was never down on him, to the point that I think the "redeemed" storyline is a bit melodramatic from a media perspective - he was always good but chose some bad movies, and now he's choosing smarter projects overall. But this is just incorrect. It's like casting him as Doctor Who - Affleck would be a terrible choice for that, too, and it has little to do with how much I like him.I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Superman v. Batman has rocketed far, far, FAR down my list of interests now. I'm not claiming it's 100% rational, but it's reality. And I loved Man of Steel - gave it a 10/10 and saw it twice in the theater, which I almost never do.

Basically, they're gonna have to re-convince me to care about this film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Didn't see this already in the thread The movie has been announced for July 17, 2015

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Did Keaton have anything before him that made him right for Batman? Plus, who knows if they're going to be going for something dark to where Affleck needs to call on his inner Bale feelings.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TravisR said:
That pretty much sums my thoughts too. For the last number of years, Ben Affleck has been making movies that seemed more concerned about 'art' over commerce (as much as you can with a studio picture anyway) and now he's doing some dumb mega-budget superhero movie? I wish him and the movie the best of luck but dressing up in some goofy costume just seems like a big step backward for a guy who should be focused on directing.
I'm a little shocked why the studio is going in this direction but I can see why Affleck might want to do it. I guess deep down he wants to be that major star that burned out years earlier but I really hope it goes well for him. He might also just want the paycheck because the studio might have offered him another smaller picture or perhaps he wants to try and produce something himself with the profits from this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Michael Elliott said:
I'm a little shocked why the studio is going in this direction but I can see why Affleck might want to do it. I guess deep down he wants to be that major star that burned out years earlier but I really hope it goes well for him. He might also just want the paycheck because the studio might have offered him another smaller picture or perhaps he wants to try and produce something himself with the profits from this.
He could also want to direct one of the sequels.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Michael Elliott said:
Did Keaton have anything before him that made him right for Batman? Plus, who knows if they're going to be going for something dark to where Affleck needs to call on his inner Bale feelings.
He was great in Mr. Mom. And Gung Ho.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This is literally apples and oranges. Keaton was an actor who had little to no dramatic work at that point. Affleck is a middling dramatic actor who nearly killed his career playing one superhero already. Combined with how Snyder mangled MoS as badly as he did leaves me with no hope whatsoever that this will work.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
This is 90s Batman all over again. Instead of casting someone relatively unknown, they're going for a NAME actor. How many of us really could separate George Clooney from Batman? TERRIBLE. RIDICULOUS.

Now I have to watch Affleck's ridiculous face when I'm supposed to be thinking, "Hey, that's Batman."
Stupid Affleck.

He's like, "Oh la dee dah look at me! I want to play the LEAD in everything, even the stuff that I DIRECT. Hey guys, I'm a director TOO! Did you know that?

I can do EVERYTHING and I think I'm the best CANDIDATE to play Batman! I am trying desperately to repair my image after the Daredevil / J-Lo FIASCO by trying to make smaller scale, dramatic, more serious films. I really want to gain some real-world perspective back because my life got a little too crazy with all the glitz and glam of Hollywood.

But you know what? Maybe I'll just make an exception just this one time! After all, they probably only want me for one film, right?

Heck, I make a pretty good SUPERMAN too! Maybe I can play them both? Maybe Ryan Reynolds can play Robin. That way, we'll both have had 3 SUPERHEROs each to our resume!

Hey Zack Snyder, can I co-direct Man Of Steel 2 with you? Maybe I could even ask Chris Nolan if I can co-produce. Actually you know what? I write too! Maybe David Goyer and I could team-up.

I got it! Let's shoot it in Boston and I can use a Boston accent! You guys know I'm from Boston, right!?"

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
WB is clearly looking to build a bridge with Affleck and bring him into the DC world. They are so desperate to match the Marvel dynasty it is clear in every move they make.

Unfortunately, I do think this is a bad idea. Of course, I thought it was a bad idea to make the sequel to MoS a Batman/Superman movie. I thought they should have focused on building a strong sequel but they're going for all the headlines and glory.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't think any of this is going to work out.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
A certain Paul Dini, who knows a bit about Batman, just posted on Facebook:
Happy to see Ben Affleck get the Batman gig. He was top of my list ten years ago when Alan Burnett and myself briefly worked on a Batman/Superman feature pitch that ultimately never happened. I know Ben has a great knowledge of, and affinity for the character. I'm looking forward to seeing him don the cowl.

...So, there's that.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Personally I could care less that Dini is happy about Affleck's casting. The fact that he was at the top of his list a DECADE ago means... what exactly? The guy is simply wrong for the role as far as I'm concerned. Can you image Affleck being edgy and physically menacing? I sure can't. Even if he somehow manages to channel those qualities, I'll never be seeing Bruce Wayne/Batman on the screen, I'll be seeing Ben Affleck.

I think that this film was a bad idea at this point in the timeline anyway. Now I have absolutely zero interest in it.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
joshEH said:
A certain Paul Dini, who knows a bit about Batman, just posted on Facebook:

...So, there's that.

I like that.

The rush to pre-judgement on this and other properties astonishes me - though it really shouldn't. I think it's interesting casting, would not have been my first choice, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually have something to judge.

For those that predict doom - I would direct you into the HTF archives to look at reactions from fans to things like the BSG reboot and enjoy the pre-judging and hysteria that took place before anyone saw anything of what ultimately became the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. I'm not drawing a parallel to the Batman/Superman film, but it is a shame that such things get so drenched in attacks so early by so many.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It astonishes you Neil? Isn't that a bit of hyperbole? You've been around the block a few times. This is normal. ;)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Brian Dobbs said:
This is 90s Batman all over again. Instead of casting someone relatively unknown, they're going for a NAME actor. How many of us really could separate George Clooney from Batman? TERRIBLE. RIDICULOUS.

Now I have to watch Affleck's ridiculous face when I'm supposed to be thinking, "Hey, that's Batman."
Stupid Affleck.

He's like, "Oh la dee dah look at me! I want to play the LEAD in everything, even the stuff that I DIRECT. Hey guys, I'm a director TOO! Did you know that?

I can do EVERYTHING and I think I'm the best CANDIDATE to play Batman! I am trying desperately to repair my image after the Daredevil / J-Lo FIASCO by trying to make smaller scale, dramatic, more serious films. I really want to gain some real-world perspective back because my life got a little too crazy with all the glitz and glam of Hollywood.

But you know what? Maybe I'll just make an exception just this one time! After all, they probably only want me for one film, right?

Heck, I make a pretty good SUPERMAN too! Maybe I can play them both? Maybe Ryan Reynolds can play Robin. That way, we'll both have had 3 SUPERHEROs each to our resume!

Hey Zack Snyder, can I co-direct Man Of Steel 2 with you? Maybe I could even ask Chris Nolan if I can co-produce. Actually you know what? I write too! Maybe David Goyer and I could team-up.

I got it! Let's shoot it in Boston and I can use a Boston accent! You guys know I'm from Boston, right!?"
Holy shit, people...I like how everyone just knows Affleck won't be able to play Batman in a film of which they have zero inkling of its tone, style, conception of the character, etc. The argument seems to boil down to, "I can't see him being the Bale/Nolan Batman." As if that's the only single way to portray the character.

Not every Batman has to fit into the same mold; that's the joy of the character. Affleck would be a perfect Batman if played in the style of the '90s animated series.

Which is still the best interpretation of the character.

I'm sure they'll tailor this Batman to Affleck's strengths (and he does have many). It's very unlikely that they'll make him the same withdrawn lunatic that Bale played.

As already mentioned above, a great many people balked at the casting of Keaton back in the day, and thought his career mostly consisting of comedies (and fresh off of Beetlejuice with Tim Burton) made him a very unsuitable choice. NOBODY had a fucking clue how well he was going to turn out in the role, and we certainly do not have any idea of how well Affleck will turn out, either. Let's not kid ourselves otherwise.

The guy's last performances and work as a director have deservedly earned him both praise and opportunities; he took a break, and decided to let go of the pretty-boy persona Hollywood molded for him back in the day, and showed that he's extremely talented and focused when he's left to his own devices.

I think Affleck is an interesting choice. It's not like he's fresh out of the days of Surviving Christmas and Bennifer. I'm willing to give him a shot.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
joshEH said:
I'm willing to give him a shot.
Why not give someone else a SHOT?

He's already set for life. He doesn't need the money. He doesn't need this role like someone else needs this role.

GREEDY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks