What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Batman -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Part of a series, now controlled by Warner Bros, based upon DC comic books from aeons gone by. Only now far more violent.

This latest variant, directed by Matt Reeves, opened theatrically in March of 2022, and quickly garnered a huge world-wide gross.

People seem to want to see these films.

Visually, its dark and stunning, with a magnificent sheen of original organic grain. It was finished as a 4k DI.

Warner's has performed a meticulous job with this release, clearing away months of dirt, detritus and other age related artifacts, to offer a magnificent 4k UHD disc.

Color, referenced from original materials is beautifully rendered, with great shadow detail where appropriate, and a wonderfully stable and vibrant image.

The 4k comes in a lovely slipcover, with the same artwork as used on the inner sleeve, only with the 4k Ultra UHD typography, along with the type of formats contained therein, in metallic or foil. The actual film title, The Batman, is in dark red ink. The entire cover is shiny, with some portions of the reverse also in metallic ink.

At the top of the rear, in a very interesting type is a quote from none other than Sean O'Connell of Cinemablend. Below that, a listing of what's inside.

I'm betting that this slipcover is going to be a collectible, and only available for the first printing, which could be quite small, as I keep hearing that physical media isn't doing well.

For those with friends, there's a digital code inside, available for gifting or selling on-line.

A very nice addition to the series, which as few people are aware, actually began as a 15-chapter serial in 1943, followed by Batman and Robin in 1949. It became a hit TV series (and a feature) in the 1960s, and then a series of features of varying quality beginning in 1989.

It wasn't taken seriously until 2005, when Christopher Nolan (the archivist best known for his work on 2001) was given the reins and created a very loud, very expensive film, that seems to put the character back on an interesting track.

The official “Dark” Batman.

He followed Batman Begins, with The Dark Knight (2008) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012), before those reins were turned over to Zack Snyder for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), which brought yet another DC character into the mix.

The Batman was produced, based upon the success of The Lego Batman Movie (2017).

There are actually far too many Batman TV series and other films to keep them straight, but we can look forward to Batgirl in 2023, as well as another TV series, Batman: Caped Crusader.

Stay tuned.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Beautifully

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
As I get older, I'm less interested in more violent adaptations of comic book heros. The trend seems to be to see how dark and violent the present one can be over the previous. Too many superhero movies. Too little time for me to care anymore.

What were once adored comics with a bit of tongue-in-cheek charm in a more innocent time, these films are made for adult audiences with their children watching as if they're as innocent as the pages from long ago. It's so comical I forgot to laugh.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Surprisingly few comments about this film here.

I guess most probably did all the commenting they'd care to about the film itself over in the main movie thread -- there was plenty in that thread IIRC.

Since this 4K release seems reference quality, no PQ/AQ complaints (nor controversy) necessary, which often constitute or inspire a majority of the comments. Also, it's not some substantial classic w/ lots of well aged following, etc that would elicit tons of (positive or opposing) such comments.

Me? I only just now finally got around to ordering it for the attractive $10 pre-BF price, hehheh... Like some, I had somewhat mixed feelings about the film itself (though liked it well enough), so just waited to see if it might drop anywhere around this price level before buying -- I could just stream from HBO Max otherwise though haven't actually bothered so far...

_Man_

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Seeing that the running time was almost 3 hours, I had put off viewing until I had a large block of time to immerse myself in "darkness".
About 30 min into the 4K disc, the image froze. I took the disc out to the kitchen to examine and found it covered with oily smudges that looked like fingers grease without the prints. The movie played fine after cleaning, but later I examined the black 4K case and insert for storing the 3 discs. Every surface was covered with similar scum, as if the plastic was giving off chemical oil from a bad production run of the case. Whatever portion of the case is deteriorating, the residue is plating out on all 3 discs and the flap containing 2 of the 3 discs. Anyone else notice this after having "The Batman" in your collection for several months?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks