Blu-ray Review Batman: The Complete Television Series Blu-ray Review

Bob Furmanek

Producer
Insider
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
5,960
Real Name
Bob
I haven't even seen what you are talking about but I can tell you this: it's a joke.

I've known him since the mid-1980's. Adam has a big heart and a very dry sense of humor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tony Bensley

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
5,040
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Real Name
John Moreland
Holy Current Events, Batman! I just watched the 2-parter with Van Johnson as The Minstrel and I never remembered that Batman had a "Batdrone" remote controlled small aircraft, LOL.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bryan4999

Corey II

Agent
Joined
Jun 24, 2013
Messages
32
Real Name
Corey
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering, will there ever be a stripped down blu-ray box set, one without all the trinkets, but with all the special features and therefore less expensive? I really want the series, but I can do without the toy Batmobile and trading cards. However, I would like to have the episide guide to go along with the stripped down box set, that is of course, if the powers that be ever decide to release a stripped down boxset.
 

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
35,201
Location
The basement of the FBI building
^ My guess is that they'll eventually release the seasons separately (and probably with S2 split into two parts) and after that, they'll put those four individual sets in one standard box.
 

Corey II

Agent
Joined
Jun 24, 2013
Messages
32
Real Name
Corey
Why do you think season 2 would be split into two parts? Is it because it has more episodes than seasons 1 and 3?
 

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
35,201
Location
The basement of the FBI building
Corey II said:
Why do you think season 2 would be split into two parts? Is it because it has more episodes than seasons 1 and 3?
Yeah and Warners is doing it with the S2 DVDs (S2-Part 1 has been announced for February) so when/if the Blu-rays are sold as separate seasons, I assume they'll do the same.
 

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
35,201
Location
The basement of the FBI building
Corey II said:
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering, will there ever be a stripped down blu-ray box set, one without all the trinkets, but with all the special features and therefore less expensive? I really want the series, but I can do without the toy Batmobile and trading cards. However, I would like to have the episide guide to go along with the stripped down box set, that is of course, if the powers that be ever decide to release a stripped down boxset.
Good news for you. I was completely wrong and the regular set is already coming out on December 16. TV Shows On DVD has the news here: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman-The-Complete-Television-Series/20506
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
413
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Well, I finished off all the episodes yesterday, and I'm kinda depressed that it's over. Watched Return to the Batcave and Batman: The Movie to lift my spirits a bit.

I have to say, for as cheap and half-finished as the sets often looked in Season 3, it had some of the funniest dialogue of the entire series, from some pretty blatant double-entendres (such as Batman's remarks to Robin about the "first oncoming thrust of manhood") to sublime absurdity (see Batman's big showdown with Shame in The Great Train Robbery). And Batgirl was a nice addition, as well. Sure, she was added in the hopes of upping the ratings, but her presence never seemed like a desperate bid, largely due to the fact that the character was well-written and charmingly portrayed. She never felt like a third wheel.

I really wish the series had run for longer than three seasons. I could watch another 120 of these, easily.
 

Corey II

Agent
Joined
Jun 24, 2013
Messages
32
Real Name
Corey
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
1,240
Real Name
Tommy
I received the blu-ray set for Christmas! Only got around to watching the first episode so far (or rather the first two, I kind of just look at it as an hour long show). It's been a LONG time since I've seen an episode, but it brought back a lot of fun childhood memories and was VERY fun to watch. It wasn't until today though that I found out here on HTF that there were problems with a few episodes and that Warner is putting together a replacement program. I sent off a customer service thing through their site. It seems like it's all a little old news now (the other thread hasn't had replies on the subject for a while now), so do I just wait to hear back from them, or are things still up in the air over how they're going to handle it?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Joined
Jun 10, 2003
Messages
18,720
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tommy R said:
I received the blu-ray set for Christmas! Only got around to watching the first episode so far (or rather the first two, I kind of just look at it as an hour long show). It's been a LONG time since I've seen an episode, but it brought back a lot of fun childhood memories and was VERY fun to watch. It wasn't until today though that I found out here on HTF that there were problems with a few episodes and that Warner is putting together a replacement program. I sent off a customer service thing through their site. It seems like it's all a little old news now (the other thread hasn't had replies on the subject for a while now), so do I just wait to hear back from them, or are things still up in the air over how they're going to handle it?
Hi Tommy - Warner now has a website set up - you go to the site below, enter in your name and contact info, plus the UPC code from the packaging (and if you have the limited edition Blu-ray set, what number copy yours is):

http://www.shipment-service.com/batman66/

Supposedly the replacement copies will start shipping mid-January.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Ken_McAlinden

Producer
Reviewer
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Messages
6,206
Location
Livonia, MI USA
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As has been discussed above and in other forum threads, Warner initiated a disc replacement program to add the original opening narration back to the pilot episode and to restore the missing final scene to the Season Two episode Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds. In addition to these corrections, Warner also added three extras featuring vintage promotional elements to Disc 1.


On the replacement Disc 1, under a new "Special Features" menu, viewers will find the following collection of vintage promotional materials:


Next Week's Villain (7:54) collects all of the series' 42 bumpers promoting "next week's villain" in one continuous eight minute reel with graphics in between indicating to what episode they were originally tagged.


Batman's Amazing Arsenal (:40) is the vintage "tomorrow" promo that was used to hype the unveiling of the bat-cycle, bat-copter, and bat-boat. This was no doubt intended to promote the theatrical film in which they would all be featured prominently.


Season 1 Rebroadcast Promo (:22) is the brief "next week" promo that was used to hype the first rebroadcast of the pilot episode.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Ken_McAlinden

Producer
Reviewer
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Messages
6,206
Location
Livonia, MI USA
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Bob Furmanek said:
The arsenal promo was shown at the end of the Archer episode; the first of the second season.
I hope the movie was still in theaters, then, because nobody was going to see a "Batcopter" on the TV show's budget. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
413
Real Name
James O'Blivion
The Batcopter did show up in a few episodes of the TV series...though I believe it was simply reused footage from the feature film.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Bob Furmanek

Producer
Insider
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
5,960
Real Name
Bob
That's why the early announced plans for CinemaScope lensing on the feature were dropped and non-anamorphic 1.85:1 was chosen instead: the footage could easily be used in the TV show as well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
344,364
Messages
4,708,298
Members
141,249
Latest member
Mark rrdoc