What's new

Batman Serials (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Yeah, let's censor another film because of some bozo that wants to tell me what I can't watch. They ought to drown them all!!!

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Drowning people who are reluctant to release racist films of the 1940s seems a little harsh to me.

Believe it or not, American Movie Classics showed the unedited version of BATMAN several years ago, and there are "grey market" versions of it around.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Not only are openings and closes intact, but Columbia thoughtfully drops a chapter stop right after the opening so if you're watching straight through you can skip them if you like. Best of both worlds. :emoji_thumbsup: Nice transfer of some mildly problematic elements.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
"Nice transfer of some mildly problematic elements."

Only for those that want to impose their views on others!!!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You seem to have missed his intent entirely. The elements are problematic due to their age and condition. I don't think this "imposed view" is worthy of three exclamation points worth of defiance. :)

Regards,

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
"...if you're watching straight through you can skip them if you like..."

Anybody who watches a serial straight through should be drowned.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
They're talking about the first serial in some forms is censored. This second serial isn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The second serial was released by Goodtimes (back when they had a license to release a lot of Columbia product) in two volumes on VHS in slightly cut form; I think the first chapter was shorter. These tapes were LP speed.

This same serial was later released by Columbia on VHS/SP and uncut.

The new DVD looks great.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Pretty good picture and sound quality for a 60 year old series.

Though during chapter 2, I did have some white horizontal lines flash on the screen a few times.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Sounds fantastic.
Let's hope that this is just the first of many more of those adorably cheesy Sam Katzman treasures to be relaeased on DVD.

Bring on,
Blackhawk
Roar of the Iron Horse
Cody of the Pony Express
Congo Bill
The Sea Hound
Jack Armstrong
Jungle Raiders
The Desert Hawk
and the non Katzman Classics,
The Great Adventures of Wild Bill Hickock
Overland with Kit Carson
The Shadow ( I still remember the menacing laugh )
White Eagle
The Secret Code
and more.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Most of those are somewhat less than stellar, but I agree, they'd all be fun to have. Well, maybe not THE DESERT HAWK. *L*

JACK ARMSTRONG, THE ALL AMERICAN BOY is available from VCI Entertainment.

THE SHADOW and THE SECRET CODE are as good any serials ever put out by anybody. I hope you also have VCI's HOLT OF THE SECRET SERVICE -- it's the darb!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
How did VCI come to get Jack Armstrong and Holt?
Are they public Domain and also what is the quality like Laurence?
Are they complete with individual titles?

How many times did I leave the local Saturday afternoon Matinee and go straight home and re-enact each episode with my play mates.
We were Pirates, Cowboys, Arabs, Spies and Masked Avengers.
We even faked the original Music Score as we played.

Whatever became of pure imagination and good clean fun?

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
HOLT is probably in the public domain, but I doubt if ARMSTRONG is. Both DVDs do have all credits, etc., intact and chapter stops with each chapter so you can watch a thrilling episode a week. Frankly, ARMSTRONG is only so-so, but HOLT is one of my absolute favorites.

Some other serials on DVD that I love:

BURN-’EM-UP BARNES (1934, 12 chapters) One of the most enthusiastic and likeable of all the early sound heroes, Jack Mulhall is Barnes, trying to save his girl’s schoolbus company from the corporate raiders who want the oil in her land. Yes, that’s the plot, really. Some of the best chase scenes you’ll see in any vintage movie. With Frankie Darro and Jason Robards, Sr. Available from Alpha, and it’s a terrific print and transfer.

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT (1942, 15 chapters) Folks, you have never seen anything like a serial directed by James W. Horne, who is best remembered for his Laurel & Hardy films. People dash about everywhere as if their asses were on fire. Fight scenes are free-for-alls that seem to be choreographed by Jack Kirby. In their off-hours, the villain’s henchmen are apt to relax with a little game of jacks or hopscotch. It’s a loony world all its own. This is the best of the Horne serials that’s currently available. Stars Dave O’Brien (a great stuntman, but also well-remembered for THE DEVIL BAT and REEFER MADNESS). Available from VCI Entertainment.

FLASH GORDON (SPACE SOLDIERS) (1936, 13 chapters) The best of all motion pictures serials. Don’t be put off by the primitive special effects; this chapterplay has everything, including the best hero in the serial business: Buster Crabbe, taut as a wound spring, not too smart, but great with his fists and ready to wade into action. With Jean Rogers, Frank Shannon, and Charles Middleton. (You’ll probably want the sequels, FG’S TRIP TO MARS and FG CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE, too.) Available from Image Entertainment, and note that they also sell a truncated, “featurized” version that you’ll want to avoid.

JUNGLE JIM (1937) Lost for more than six decades, JUNGLE JIM seizes its place atop the list of great jungle serials. With Grant Withers, Raymond Hatton, Evelyn Brent as Shanghai Lil, and Henry Brandon as the Cobra. Available from VCI Entertainment.

RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON (1952) Commando Cody is back, soaring high into the air in his cool bomber jacket and flight pack. You’ll marvel at his adventures, thrill to his courage, and guffaw at the cheesy plot and nonsensical science (spacemen walking around the moon’s surface in their business suits). Non-stop fun and laughs. Available from several sources, but I recommend the Roan Group (Troma) or Image Entertainment versions (although the cheaper Alpha 2-disc set is nearly as good).

SECRET AGENT X-9 (1937) and (1945, 13 chapters) Universal made two serials from the popular Alex Raymond comic strip, and they’re both excellent. In the first version, Scott Kolk is trying regain the stolen crown jewels of a mythical European kingdom, and Henry Brandon is trying to keep the jewels he’s swiped. Jean Rogers and Lon Chaney, Jr., are around, too. In the second version, Lloyd Bridges (in one of his first roles) thwarts an Axis plot to develop a powerful synthetic fuel. With Keye Luke and – in one of the great supporting roles in any chapterplay – Samuel S. Hinds (Jimmy Stewart’s dad in IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE) as the Tiddly Winks Man. Both available from VCI Entertainment.

UNDERSEA KINGDOM (1936) Republic’s version of Flash Gordon, only Crash Corrigan goes to inner earth to battle the sinister Unga Khan, who is trying to do the nasty with the surface dwelling populace far above his own kingdom. With Lois Wilde and Lon Chaney, Jr.

ZORRO’S CLIFFHANGER COLLECTION – Three excellent serials for the price of one. ZORRO RIDES AGAIN (1937) is my favorite Zorro serial; John Carroll is a very, very sissified John Vega, descendent of the original Z-guy. This one is set in modern times, only it’s the Roy Rogers modern times, you know: if a horse ain’t fast enough, take a car. ZORRO'S FIGHTING LEGION (1939) puts Zorro back in his old era, with Reed Hadley very dashing with a whip and a sword. Finally, ZORRO'S BLACK WHIP (1944) gives us the most unusual Zorro of all: The Black Whip, a beautiful woman (Linda Stirling at her best) who isn’t Zorro, but knows all his tricks. ZORRO’S CLIFFHANGER COLLECTION is available from VCI Entertainment.

I review serials all the time over at www.monsterkid.com on the Thrills & Chills board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks