What's new

Batman DVD Set Missing Tag Scene In S2 Episode (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
That's it! I'm purchasing the Blu-Ray set (Which will NOT be opened because of the collectable Batmobile in it) but my "alternates" are going to be spared for the time being!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The lack of Dozier narration at the beginning of the pilot is not a big deal for me. I am told this was added *only* in syndication and it was not present on the TV Land Canada print. In fact, one reason why I was quick to toss my set was when I checked back after watching the Blu-Ray of the pilot to make sure the TV Land Canada had no narration and upon hearing that the second Lesley Gore song from her S2 episode was intact (it was edited on the TV Land Canada set) I figured I was home safe and could toss the boot set. As it is, a friend of mine who has the same set will now have to furnish me with the two discs in question with the Marsha and Astin/Riddler episodes!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
They originally tested the pilot with a preview audience several times. The first test did not have the narration and Dozier added it to the second because the early audience apparently didn't realize the show was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

So far as what originally aired in January 1966, I can't be sure. I do have a transfer of a network print of the first episode as aired with commercials, but it's on 3/4-inch tape and my player is dead. I'll see if I can get it transferred.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Are we talking about no narration period throughout the episode in the original test or just no narration in the opening scene, though? As it is, there is no narration in the opening but it is present starting at the halfway point.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Carabimero said:
Hopefully Warner Home Video will be furnishing those to you before long, as well.

Does anyone think that's a realistic possibility? When was the last time Warner offered replacement blu-rays?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My thinking is that this isn't any Blu-ray set. This is Batman. The one the world waited for forever. I like to believe this one is in a class all its own.

Speaking strictly business, however, if the press release stated the episodes are uncut, I would think Warner Home Video would be compelled to make this right. A press release is not something to be sneezed at. You can't officially promise something that you don't deliver.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Do they know yet? If not, who do we contact? Warner's FB page?

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I bought this set directly from Warner and I haven't received it yet. I'm not contemplating what to do with it when I receive it.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Jack P said:
Are we talking about no narration period throughout the episode in the original test or just no narration in the opening scene, though? As it is, there is no narration in the opening but it is present starting at the halfway point.
So far as I know, the first audience test screening did not have narration over the opening shots of the World's Fair. The people didn't get the gist of the show so Dozier added the narration for the second test screening.

It's unknown which version originally aired on ABC on January 12, 1966. That mystery will be solved when I get the tape of the ABC network air print dubbed over.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
AlexNH said:
Does anyone think that's a realistic possibility? When was the last time Warner offered replacement blu-rays?
Last year, Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Season Five had an audio sync problem and they replaced the discs. However, Warners was just distributing that set for Lucasfilm Limited so LFL might have pushed Warners to issue the replacement.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
AlexNH said:
They were VERY quick to offer replacement programs for the 3-second glitch on The Bishop's Wife blu-rays that came out last Christmas, as well as The Right Stuff blu-rays f[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]rom around the same time [/SIZE]that accidentally had 48K audio instead of 96K upsampling.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Okay, I would like to now at this point state that I am skeptical there is anything missing from the Astin Riddler episode. The running time for Part 1 is 25:19 and the running time on the counter for Part 2 which is where the supposed missing thing is, is 25:14. That's not enough time for there to be anything missing and checks in with the running time for all the other episode save "Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds" with its missing tag scene. I will confess I am not familiar with the Riddler one as I am with the Marsha one where I can cite the dialogue and set-up of what's missing so I'm beginning to think until we hear otherwise on a comparison with a boot that we should discount the notion that anything is missing from that episode and that as a result, it's only this one episode from Season 2 that Warner needs to rectify.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish I had the BD set to compare it to the set I have. Give me the name and number and exact running time of the episode you are skeptical about, and I will double check my comparison to the Hamill set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It's part two of the Astin Riddler, "A Riddling Controversy." Running time on the DVD counter is 25:14. Part 1, "Batman's Anniversary" is 25:19. #45-46 of Season 2 or if we want to go by overall in series, #79-80 I believe.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's 25:17 including the 20th Century Fox TV logo at the end. You are correct. There's nothing missing, as this copy was made from a vault original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks