What's new

BATMAN (1989) & sequels (STREET DATE: Oct. 18, 2005) (2 Viewers)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
FWIW, I have not seen any individual ones WITH slipcases at Target, Best Buy or my local mom and pop store. Not sure if they exist or not.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Thanks, Tim. And the individual ones have slipcases, yeah?
Dunno, since I just grabbed the box set and pretty much ran home. I think so, since there are some posts bemoaning the sticker glue residue (a great way to instantly ruin nice packaging!).

Joel C

Screenwriter
The single cases don't have slipcases. THe sticker glue marred the actual keepcases -- on my copy of Returns, at least.

I got one of the movies for review but I really still can't decide if I want the whole set, because Batman & Robin is so austoundingly dumb... but I do want to hear the commentary. And I made like $15 selling my old copies of the first three films (which I think I watched once or less in three years, so they were basically a waste of money, sigh).

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Same here. The shot that was ruined for me, pointed out in one of the extras, is Joker's first reveal when we see that biug purple blotch on his neck. Since he pointed that out it's . . . so obvious . . .
I've always noticed that little blotch; I always thought it was supposed to be some residue from the acid that Jack fell into. I was also surprised to hear that it was a mistake on the DVD. The DVD transfer and extras are great on this title.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Not really surprising, since he was using one of his "toys" to descend into the museum.
My bad. :) I actually haven't seen the Burton films in a while (Schumacher's have been playing on cable) and forgot all about his toys.

I just sampled the films and movies yesterday night. Extras look pretty good. Are the interviews with Val Kilmer on this set new? I noticed Keaton's and (I assume) Clooney's aren't. Can't place Kilmer's though.

I always thought that Batman & Robin wasn't that bad, but I watched it on cable maybe two months ago, and it is. :D But just skimming through it's "Shadow of the Bat" documentary, I noticed some moments stood out as the funniest and most entertaining of the clips I previewed.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
He caused Two-Face to plummet to his death, but it was kinda on Two-Face's own fault.
So I don't recall him killing anyone.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Does Batman kill anybody in Batman Forever?
The odd thing about that is if you listen to Schumacher's commentaries, which are pretty terrible by the way (how many times must he use the excuse "It's a comic book movie" for his choices), he mentions that he didn't want to have Batman kill anybody because he was making a more family friendly movie. Nowhere does he mention the fact that Batman does not kill in the comic books. For someone to claim to be such a fan of the books and to have wanted to direct "Batman: Year One", he doesn't know much about the essence of the character whatsoever.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Bought the box set at Target on Tuesday. I'd orginally planned to use the BB Bucks I'd gotten from McDonald's on the set, but Target was selling the set for about $8 cheaper and they were right next door. I'd have sprung for the 2-disc Begins there as well, but they didn't get any copies surprisingly, so I walked back to Best Buy and bought it there. $76 for 10 discs... not bad.

As for the extras, I've only dug through the Shadows of the Bat doc on Batman, which is excellent. The only nitpick I have is that they spend about five minutes talking about the original teaser trailer and people's reaction to it, and it isn't on the set (as well as the other teaser trailers for the series). But that's a VERY minor nitpick for what is otherwise a really nice set.

(Sorry, trailers are probably my favorite DVD extras alongside meaty documentaries, especially childhood favorites like the Batman ones. Brings back the memories.)

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
As I recall, Bruce broke of Two-Face's thug's neck at the circus, which had to be snipped from UK 'PG' release.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I love the documentaries that I've watched on the first disc, but has anyone else noticed like dropped frames when the people in the interviews move quickly? I found it very distracting. It's kind of hard to describe, but it was especially noticeable when Jack was waving his arms around with his story about Jack Valenti.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought there were 2 trailers. I haven't watched the DVD yet so I didn't know which one was on it.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I can't believe they would go on about the trailer and then not include it. As a rule, I like teasers better than full trailers, so I would like to see it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks