1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

BATMAN (1989) & sequels (STREET DATE: Oct. 18, 2005)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jedrek, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

2. Nick Martin

Nick Martin Cinematographer

I simply printed the uk version front covers and slipped them into the front of the keep case.

3. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I've watched three of the four films(guess which one I haven't watched[​IMG] ), and the quality of the transfers are superb. BATMAN RETURNS DTS track is just amazing; it blows away many more recent film mixes. FOREVER is actually a more entertaining film than I've given it credit for. The Two Face character is, for the most part, botched, and the film can be obnoxious at times, but the handling of the Batman character is very good. The deleted scenes added quite a bit of dimension to the story, and should have been recut into the main feature. Perhaps on the inevitable Blu-Ray release.

I find that the first three BATMAN films are all very entertaining, but all have one or two major flaws that keep them from greatness. Still, they are well worth watching.

4. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone having problems getting the Anthology at Wal-Mart? None of the 4 Wal-Marts in my area have (not even the singles) Not even walmart.com has it online (it's sold out). I have a gift card that is just dying to be used [​IMG] I was going to simply go into Wal-Mart last week with the Target Ad and price match, but I guess I'll see what they have tomorrow. Hopefully, this was a mistake with Wal-Mart last week. I have never known them to fail on getting a release ontime. They promote Batman Begins So much that I thought, "surely, the Batman Anthology will be easy to find being that it's also from WB".

5. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Let me get this straight, Batman Returns R2 has no commentary? And what exactly is cut from it?

6. Mathew B

Mathew B Stunt Coordinator

The whole scene where Catwoman breaks a gas line and then puts aerosol cans into the microwave.

7. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

That sucks, how long does it go for?

8. Mathew B

Mathew B Stunt Coordinator

7s. The whole scene.

That means you never see the reason for the store exploding.

9. Jamin Fowler

Jamin Fowler Extra

10. Jamin Fowler

Jamin Fowler Extra

Was anyone else dissapointed with the lack of deleted scenes on these DVDs??

I know the first thing I did when I bought the set was go to the deleted scenes in FOREVER, hoping to see the scene where the Riddler injects Chase with some green goo - I remember this scene from when I saw it in the theatres and I also had the trading card for that scene, but haven't seen the footage since 1995! I was hoping maybe a director's cut - but no such luck!

It was nice to see the "Is It Holloween" clip from BATMAN in the doco and a scene where Selina talks about her "shock gun" after her meeting with Batman - but still more is out there!!

11. Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb Second Unit

Kevin Lamb
    I'm curious as to which of the first four Batman films people think has aged the best, particularly after revisiting them with these new transfers.

Of the four, I'm most looking forward to viewing Batman Forever again (hopefully Blockbuster will get these new editions.)

I'm not a fan of Batnipples but I like Batman as the Punisher even less.

12. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I have to say that my very high regard for RETURNS lowered slightly with this most recent viewing. The final clash of the four main characters is brilliant, but so much of what comes before is,at times, incoherent. Still a good film, but not quite the Burtonian masterpiece that I used to think it was.
    FOREVER, on the other hand, has gone up a notch, largely for the handling of Bruce Wayne/Batman, and the good performance by Kilmer; good action scenes help, too. The first film still impresses because of the production design, Elfman's score, and Nicholson's performance.

13. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

After watching all 4 this past weekend, I must say that I was most entertained by Forever. Kilmer's performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman was very good and I loved Carrey as the Riddler. "Batman, Batman you say!" [​IMG]

As for Batman & Robin: what an atrocity!

14. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

I'd say Batman Forever, partially because the story holds up well (especially compared to Batman & Robin), and the special effects/computer graphics aren't too cheesy. Also, the cast is the best of the first four.

15. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

I have always said Jim Carrey would make abetter Joker than Riddler

16. Brent M

Brent M Producer

For me, it's still the original. I just watched it last night and Nicholson's performance continues to be one of my all-time faves. There's not another actor alive or dead that could have pulled off The Joker like Jack.

17. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Matt Czyz
    I'd love to see Mark Hamill do a live-action performance, though. If he got the look down as much as the voice, he'd knock it out of the park.

18. DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro Stunt Coordinator

After a full week I've finally finished watching all four films and came away with new insights. I was difficult for me to determine which film aged better since I usually expect comic book based films to be a bit over the top. However I do expect them at least to come close in being faithful to their comic book source. Needless to say none of them fulfilled my expectations but surprisingly I still found them entertaining. Even now I have a new appreciation for them than before.

The Burton films are much better than when I first saw them on the big screen. Credit this to Burton for his amazing visual skill and Elfman's amazing score that it literally takes it out of cinematic reality and into a dreamlike fantasy. The same would go for the Schumacher films although to a much, much lesser extreme.

Batman As some others have said, the first film should have been called Joker since the whole plot revolved around what he did. The love story in the first film also nearly ruined the movie. Basinger's screaming really got annoying. The only thing that saved the first film was Nicholson's performance, sinister but not to campy. I thought Keaton did a much better job as Wayne than his alter ego despite his limited role. Although I still hate the fact the Batman's and Joker's origins were tied, it seem to have faded after multiple viewings.

Batman Returns I feel that this is Burton's (dare I say it) masterpiece. Everything was much better in the sequel than than the first. The story, performances and production paid off more this time around. Some of my friends said it was to dark but this the Dark Knight for crying out loud. Keaton seemed less stiff and he moved better with the heavy Batman custom than the first. I found Devito a bit vulgar but he held his own against Batman and especially with Catwoman. Pfeiffer was amazing as Catwoman and I can only imagine how Nolan would have handled her performance if times were different. I have to emphasize again that this film has visual eye candy and not just with Catwoman. :b

Batman Forever I didn't really hate this movie then as much as some. Sure it was campy but what did anyone expect when you have Jim Carey in a movie. Originally I thought that Carey was perfect for the criminal mischief that the Riddler has been known for in the comic book but the story went way overboard with him. Kilmer did a much better job than I expected while Jones was the wrong choice for Two Face. In fact the filmkakers ruined his character. Kidman and O'Donnell were just adequate for their particular roles. Overall I consider this film as nothing more but a typical B movie or maybe even a tribute to the 60's Batman television series.

Batman & Robin This movie sucked. Nuff said.

19. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

20. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

I still think Forever holds up best. Batman bores me.